Fuel consumption

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fordgt40

Car
C63 AMG estate
I've posted this question on this forum before, but I'm seriously dissappointed with the fuel usage on my 2010 C350 CDI sport estate, can anyone tell me why I can at the very best 36/37 mpg at between 70-80 mph when my pal gets 47 plus mpg with his E350 CDI doing the same speed, the only thing I can think of is it's a more efficient engine in the E as gearing is much the same.

I've posted this question on this forum before, but I'm seriously dissappointed with the fuel usage on my 2010 C350 CDI sport estate, can anyone tell me why I can at the very best 36/37 mpg at between 70-80 mph when my pal gets 47 plus mpg with his E350 CDI doing the same speed, the only thing I can think of is it's a more efficient engine in the E as gearing is much the same.
Presumably this is the same journey/vehicle load/weather conditions for the comparison? If not maybe you should try that! The term "your mileage may vary" has never been so appropriate! :)

Do you have the same wheel/tyre sizes and manufacturer as your friend?

Are you off and on the accelerator all the time? This can make a big difference.

As above,

How do you join the motorway or set off from lights, are you giving it beans or steady?

I had 43mpg from my E320Cdi estate yesterday and that was on an A road with some good roundabout moments.

Best I have had is 47mpg so far. Seems yours is low. Have you checked your tyre preasure also?

there might be something wrong with yours if its been run in (whats the mileage?), 47mpg from a 350cdi sounds wrong to be honest

there might be something wrong with yours if its been run in (whats the mileage?), 47mpg from a 350cdi sounds wrong to be honest

Why?? I had been showing over 47MPG until I went 3 miles down country lanes.:)

Attachments

• IMG_0029.JPG
    IMG_0029.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 177
I've seen 49mpg from my E320 Estate also. I do find that at 80mph my car turns into a fuel hungry pig however.

Let us have the details of the circumstances.

No, it was on exactly the same stretch of motorway, from Preston to Kendal, same type of driving, there is no question, there is a difference in the engine, if I was a bit cynical I would suggest Mercedes put a better more efficient engine in the E and if you notice the E always seems to get the latest version before the C, is it a marketing ploy?

My engine has been checked out at the Merc. dealers and nothing is amiss, my car has done 8000 miles my pals has done 6000, it's a bloody mystery.

I do the same journey into work most days.
I'm a bit OCD with the computer/mpg these days, it's always on the screen.

I get between 44 and 56 mpg from home to work (8 miles). VERY much depending upon whether I think about my driving style (and manually change up downhill etc etc) or whether Im on the handsfree talking and NOT thinking of mpg.

In essence, same car, same journey but pretty varying mpg. 99.9% driver induced !

Hope that helps a bit?

Ps: when my wife does the same journey, in my car, which is not often, her driving scares me to be honest, it's never above 42. Throttle is used as an on/off switch and full use of the anchors at every junction...

I'd love to see these sort of miles per gallon ...

27-29 on motorways , 15-17 around town for me :crazy:

I'd love to see these sort of miles per gallon ...

27-29 on motorways , 15-17 around town for me :crazy:

I share your pain.

I must be a masochist as it's got such an enjoyable soundtrack :D

HaHa !!

On the 430. :D

Don't know what the A class does to be honest , it hasn't got anything as fancy as a trip computer.

I drive like mr Mcgoo tho...

I think my ML must have been pretty bad round town too be honest (probably low doubles sometimes...)

Have to say having both diesal power these days we just don't think about where we are going, the fuel seems to last for ages. I aim for over 40 in the E class on any over 5 mile trip, the B class gets closer to 50.

refreshing after watching the needle go down as you press the accelerator....

I know I should't really complain but it is nevertheless disappointing for a modern diesel engine, I've owned in the past BMW 330 diesel and a 535 diesel and they were much better, fuel wise, I know what you're going to say, why not stick with BMW, thing is I don't like the design of the BM's and because design and art is my business it's important.

I've actually owned a Ford GT40 for the last 25 years and if I think my Merc is thirsty that is something else, between 7 and 15 mpg, but it does make a good sound.

I've actually owned a Ford GT40 for the last 25 years and if I think my Merc is thirsty that is something else, between 7 and 15 mpg, but it does make a good sound.

That's a price definitely worth paying.

If you have a car you enjoy driving then the fuel consumption should not become an issue - if it does, drive it less.

That's a price definitely worth paying.

If you have a car you enjoy driving then the fuel consumption should not become an issue - if it does, drive it less.

You're spot on, but I still think there is an issue here regarding the difference between the C class and the E

... I still think there is an issue here regarding the difference between the C class and the E

Yes, neither is an S-Class :)

Lighter shoes are often the answer to fuel economy problems. Both in acceleration and in braking.

You should always think faster than you drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom