Fuel Economics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I beg to differ. I drove a 2k mile old C320cdi on an 09 reg

Tried a 2011/11 C220 a couple of months back.

Very smooth.

I think they've evolved. (Clearly they had to given the undercurrent of complaints).

I beg to differ. I drove a 2k mile old C320cdi on an 09 reg plate in late 2009 that had a delightful tendancy to jolt on a down change from 2 to 1. They say software can fix it.

I was loaned an even more delightful 59 erg CLS that did the most wonderful lurch from 1st to 2nd and occassionally from 2 into 1, it would delight you with trying to get you to head but the windscreen.

Unless you are coming to a stop, why would you thrash a gearbox and try and drop from 2nd to 1st?

I know that you despise the 7G but if that's the way you are trying to drive a car, a diesel one at that where the 1st gear is almost pointless, you are always going to get a jolt.

I beg to differ. I drove a 2k mile old C320cdi on an 09 reg plate in late 2009 that had a delightful tendancy to jolt on a down change from 2 to 1. They say software can fix it.

I was loaned an even more delightful 59 erg CLS that did the most wonderful lurch from 1st to 2nd and occassionally from 2 into 1, it would delight you with trying to get you to head but the windscreen.

Try a 7g plus, the difference between this and my 2010 ML300 is like night and Day.

Tried a 2011/11 C220 a couple of months back.

Very smooth.

I think they've evolved. (Clearly they had to given the undercurrent of complaints).

Is that this new 7g plus box which is out...

I do believe it is an improvement, I have yet to sample it myself.

Unless you are coming to a stop, why would you thrash a gearbox and try and drop from 2nd to 1st?

I know that you despise the 7G but if that's the way you are trying to drive a car, a diesel one at that where the 1st gear is almost pointless, you are always going to get a jolt.

Its always best to take off using 1st gear, no matter what fuel the engine uses. Its their for a reason. It would be the scenario where I am coming to a stop I am discussing, the car is automatic, its in C mode, I am merely braking to come to a stop, at a low speed I get a thump (when I misread the road and did not slow to go-I had to come to a stop). I've not tried to do anything other than stop. Its an automatic car, you might well imagine why I would be miffed when that happens.

Actually, my car changes down from 2 into 1 no problem, does it smoothly-two other 7g cars which are much newer do not. Other 7g cars I have driven do not, that's my point, different cars seem to have different problems with the same box. Its inconsistently crap whichever one you jump to.

Try a 7g plus, the difference between this and my 2010 ML300 is like night and Day.

A few have said this now, so I shall take their words of it.

I believe 7th is slightly taller now, which is good as 6th and 7th appear a little to closely stacked together, particularly for a diesel. I noticed it uses a different type/spec of ATF. I am going to a MB used car weekend invite I got, and I hope to try a 7g plus car, or discuss it at more length to see whether I deem it a befitting advancement.

Last edited:
automatic gearbox

I have a 2007 w204 220 CDi and its an auto. Mercedes are best with an auto but I have the proven 5 speed auto. Makes driving on todays roads a much more pleasant and relaxing experience

Just got back from a 600 mile round trip and computer says 54 mpg so I cant complain at that, as if accurate that will do

I also did 50mpg on a trip up North at about 80mph, my previous BMW 1 series manual 118D did the same???? Once 2 litre diesels are rolling it seems there isnt much difference in the consumption. Locally not as good but not bad at 38-40

Peculiarly, I've averaged 26-27mpg with each of my last 4 cars (CLK 240 cab, Mk5 Golf GTI, BMW 335i coupe and A5 2.0T quatt cab), must be just me. Get my CLS 350 next week so will expect 26mpg from that as well!

On my rapidly infamous scottish trip, which was unusual because I was driving the C320.

On the way up averaged 45 mpg - it was 48, until I left the motorway onto a quiet and windy road, with nice straights in between.

On the way back 40 mpg. No attempt at fuel savings. 80 on the motorway, plus some enthusiastic driving on A roads.

Impressed at both, but quite a big different really given that travel time probarly not unduly different.

I have a 2007 w204 220 CDi and its an auto. Mercedes are best with an auto but I have the proven 5 speed auto. Makes driving on todays roads a much more pleasant and relaxing experience

Just got back from a 600 mile round trip and computer says 54 mpg so I cant complain at that, as if accurate that will do

I also did 50mpg on a trip up North at about 80mph, my previous BMW 1 series manual 118D did the same???? Once 2 litre diesels are rolling it seems there isnt much difference in the consumption. Locally not as good but not bad at 38-40

Thats pretty good, you would get worse in a 3 litre diesel but they go like a small V8 so its still good MPG at 10mpg less for both your figures.

Conversely ...

I find the fact that you end up moving a hand from one control to another - and disengaging the drive while making a change offensive.

If autos were the norm and you tried to introduce a manual to the market you'd be treated as mad. And quite rightly. Manuals are accepted because that's what most were brought up with.

I take your point but it's exactly that involvement with the drive that I find engaging!

I take your point but it's exactly that involvement with the drive that I find engaging!

I'd rather use my remaining (shaky) neurons and reducing mental capacity to deal with the reading the road and traffic.

And if I want to override the auto I can use the tip function. And with the latest auto boxes the shift is so quick (and no loss of power) that even that is probably becoming superflous.

Have you tried a BMW or Audi Auto recently, with the ZF 6speed box, it can lurch a little like the 7g but it changes gear so quickly and smoothly and its reliable if you ignore the manufacturer and change the ATF on it. MB need to do some work on 7g.
I own a car with the ZF 6-speed box and have just got a C63 with the 7-speed MCT gearbox; I believe.

There is no comparison in the gearboxes, as the MB gearbox is just as smooth but has much quicker changes and imho is generally much more responsive than the ZF. It drives likes it is from a different era...

Just had a new O2 sensor fitted and MPG and smoothness appear improved...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom