Fuel filler Cap will Not Open

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

erdnase

Car
E Class Coupe 2016
Not sure how by my fuel filler cap will not open without multiple tries at getting it to open.Seems a bit hit or miss and never had this problem in CLK but my E Class coupe filer cap seems to be a problem. Does anybody know any other way of open this .

I have the same problem with my 2016 E Coupe. I have to prise it open with my fingernails. The problem seems to be that the rubber boot around the click switch is twisted or the switch is not set properly so that when you press the fuel flap it doesn't push the plunger in far enough so that it springs open. Will get the dealer to look at it when it due a service.

Yes plan to get the dealer to look this as well when its serviced , seems it can be open it from inside the boot if you open up the service panel. Have look at that tomorrow in case I'm stuck.

Is it a case of "not unlocking" or "not opening". Mine unlocks but it doesn't spring open when you press it ??

Yes it will not spring open even though its unlocked.

Not sure how by my fuel filler cap will not open without multiple tries at getting it to open.Seems a bit hit or miss and never had this problem in CLK but my E Class coupe filer cap seems to be a problem. Does anybody know any other way of open this .

If you mean the flap won't unlock , there is usually a pull handle inside the boot which allows you to manually unlock the flap if the vacuum diaphragm fails ( it normally fails safe by design , so that the flap remains unlocked ) .

Hi

I recently had the fuel filler plap assembly replaced under warranty on my Nov 2014 C250 S205. It was a bit difficult to press in (the flap looked slightly missaligned to me) and didn't spring open to any great extent (only noticed when comparing to that on the courtesy car).

The service guy said they'd had a few similar issues so seems it is a known problem?

Funnily enough, I'd previously has similar problems with my S204, with the same resolution.

Phil

I had just had look in the boot and it didn't seem obvious to me where the pull handle is to open the filler cap manually .

I think if it was there it's only to unlock the flap , it wouldn't pop it out.Once the car is unlocked it relies on the pop up mechanism to push it out so that you can pull it open. You need fingernails. :D

Mercedes don't mention the finger nail method for opening a fuel filler cap. But I'll give it a a go if it refuses to open. You'd think Mercedes have got opening a fuel filler cap perfected by now.

On all of my cars , the CL just pushes out a pin to lock the flap .

To open the flap you press on the front end of the flap ( beyond the hinge ) to open the flap at the back end .

That has worked fine for 40+ years , so if it wasn't broken ....

Heat it up with a blow torch to free it off.

You will find your shoes 3 doors down across the road :D

Always struck me as a little unrefined that you have to push on the front of the flap to open it, whereas with BMWs a light press at the rear causes the flap to pop open for you. I have been known to press the rear of my MB flaps for a minute or so at the pumps, wondering why they don't open.

Precious little difference in reality, and I guess technically simpler, but MB rarely take the simple route do they?

Last edited:
I checked with MB and it needs fixed so booked in next week. No other way of opening it according to MB

Precious little difference in reality, and I guess technically simpler, but MB rarely take the simple route do they?

Well , take door mirrors as an example : the passenger side ones can be electrically adjustable , but the driver's side one is a mechanical lever since it is simpler and more cost effective as you can reach it anyway .

Mine are both electric on my E Class Coupe and on previous CLK.

No not tried that yet as it did eventually open. If I was really stuck I would use the finger nail method. Hopefully fixed next week. Actually it's been a bit flaky since I bought the car but only really noticed it was a problem when it looked as if it was refusing point blank to pop open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom