Fuel Filler Flap Frozen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob77

MB Enthusiast
Car
1990 W201 2.6 Sportline; 2011 S204 C350 CDI Sport; 1978 Foale/Suzuki GS750; 1994 Aprilia Pegaso 650
My fuel filler flap seems to be frozen shut. I've never heard of this happening before, anyone have any ideas for opening it as I have a 200 plus mile journey to make tomorrow.

Incidentally, this is my W124 diesel estate I'm talking about.

Hot water?

Don't pour water on it as it will refreeze on the rubber around the pin and make it worse ...

Can you get a hot air gun or even at a push the wifes hairdryer and gently warm it ? obviously this depends if you are in extension lead range ....

I take it you mean the flap itself has frozen to the surrounding bodywork and not the locking mechanism ?

If the former - work around the area with a hot air gun or hair dryer until the ice melts .

If the latter , open the flap inside the boot where the first aid kit is kept and you can pull the manual release lever .

I take it you mean the flap itself has frozen to the surrounding bodywork and not the locking mechanism ?

If the former - work around the area with a hot air gun or hair dryer until the ice melts .

If the latter , open the flap inside the boot where the first aid kit is kept and you can pull the manual release lever .
i forgot about that leaver!

There does appear to be a little movement in the flap, as if it's maybe the locking mechanism (and I cant park anywhere in range of a hairdryer).

That's great thanks, I'll look for the lock release at lunchtime.

I don't suppose any pic or diagram exists showing the location of the release? I've only just got the car and don't know my way around it.

It is in the handbook - I'll scan mine & post in case you don't have one !

Here it is
Untitled-1-2.jpg

Brilliant, thanks :)

Seems to be a common problem in these temps. I was in a Service Station on Monday and came across a woman trying to get her 3 series Petrol door open. Loads of people around and no-one was helping her.

Not having the power of the internet with me, and as she had just poured water over the cover it was quite an easy fix. All she needed to do was lock and unlock to recycle the lock.

The problem with our Audi in freezing conditions is that the front passenger door won't latch shut again after you've opened it (till the interior has warmed up)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom