Fuel filler flap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeterBen

Car
Mercedes B180
Hi, I am new to this forum so maybe I should say something about myself before asking my question.
I drive a Mercedes B180 which I was given by an elderly friend who is no longer able to drive, in the family we also have 2 X Mazda 2, an MGTF and soon to have a Mazda MX5.
I have a problem with the B180 in that I am unable to open the fuel filler flap, has anyone any idea has to how I can open it? I have tried accessing from the boot but cannot get to the back of the actuator without removing the nearside rear light cluster which does not want to come off. Has anyone got any ideas or do I have to take it to a garage?
Thanks

Unfortunately the car shown on the video is American, I have already seen that, models in UK do not have that release knob, the only way to open flap is to turn the rear of actuator if you can get to it. Maybe I'll call out RAC. Thanks for your help anyway.

You may have an interesting problem here.

Apparently there have been some issues with the fuel filler flap actuator motor and/or the electrical cable to it on certain B class vehicles. Mercedes service document SM80.20-p 0001a lists the VINs affected.

I looked up the WIS procedure to replace this actuator, but unfortunately it starts with 'Open fuel filler flap...'.

I guess the US manual instructions I came across "In cases where the central locking system is not releasing the fuel filler flap, or the opening mechanism is clamping, notify Roadside Assistance or an authorized Mercedes-Benz Center." may well apply here.

I think you need someone who knows these cars, not just an ordinary garage.

You may have an interesting problem here.

Apparently there have been some issues with the fuel filler flap actuator motor and/or the electrical cable to it on certain B class vehicles. Mercedes service document SM80.20-p 0001a lists the VINs affected.

I looked up the WIS procedure to replace this actuator, but unfortunately it starts with 'Open fuel filler flap...'.

I guess the US manual instructions I came across "In cases where the central locking system is not releasing the fuel filler flap, or the opening mechanism is clamping, notify Roadside Assistance or an authorized Mercedes-Benz Center." may well apply here.

I think you need someone who knows these cars, not just an ordinary garage.

Hi, Im suffering this exact problem, Ive ordered the fuel flap actuator from MB for a surprisingly cheap £27.48, Although they wanted a further £325 for fitting it!

Can you point me in the direction of the WIS procedure to replace this actuator please? at the moment I can get the flap open..

Occasionally ours is reluctant to open, but we've found that if you press the flap inwards gently but firmly, then hold it for a second the release it, it opens normally. Hope this works for you.

Hi all,

If anyone is suffering from a sticky fuel flap or one that pops open when driving, you'll probably need a new actuator, mine cost £27 from Mercedes and took all of three minutes to fit, its a push to fit actuator and i only needed a small screwdriver to prize it out.

problem solved !

Hi all,

If anyone is suffering from a sticky fuel flap or one that pops open when driving, you'll probably need a new actuator, mine cost £27 from Mercedes and took all of three minutes to fit, its a push to fit actuator and i only needed a small screwdriver to prize it out.

problem solved !

Hi,

I’m am in the same boat , and need to replace the acuator after it failed and got stuck one the closed position and I ran out of fuel. Brute force got the flap open, but I cannot work out how to get the actuator out? Can anyone assist?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom