fuel filling constant clicking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mstar01

Car
1998 C250 TD sport (manual)
guys i have a problem, ever since i brought my car, when i fill up the "clicking" noise occurs even when i have no petrol in the car/only put in 30p of fuel and i have to limit the flow sooooooooooooo much that it take agesssssss to fill and a big arm ache. Is there something wrong with the fuel tank? or the mechanism that tells the fuel filler (me) max fuel is in the car.??

any ideas :confused: :confused:

It works on back-pressure. Try turning the filler around by 90 degrees or simply pull it out of the neck an inch or two.

I get this all the time, especially at my local tesco which has brand new pumps and I have to literally pull the filler out to just an inch or two left in the neck before it will fill continuously!

HEHEHE its annoying as i have to press the trgger on the hose 1/2 cm and the flow of diesel is sooooooooooo slow it take ages to fill even a pound of diesel. Is this a MB design flaw? or is there something wrong with my cars fuel cap/tank?

No no it does it on mine too when I'm filling unleaded, I think my forearms have grown to compensate, no need to be alarmed matey. I think its to do with the back pressure on the pump itself. But Shude would be better at explaining things

AFAIK the pump cuts off supply when the backpressure from the tank reaches a certain level. Presumably if the supply is greater than the demand (ie, full) then it cuts off. What's happening is the neck is filling too fast and confusing the pump.

I usually rotate the filler and carry on as usual.

I should add that when I was in NL and DE a few years ago with my '202 I suffered no such problem! Maybe the pumps are slightly different.

hey shude thants for that, do u mean rotate the fuel nose into the petrol cap opening into the car?

mstar01 said:
hey shude thants for that, do u mean rotate the fuel nose into the petrol cap opening into the car?
Yep. Had to do that last night as the new tesco pumps have about 50% more pressure! Bzzzclick, bzzzclick, bzzzclick, bzzzclick.

Turn the handle around between 90-180 degrees, pull it out of the neck about an inch and you should be able to use full pressure.

Right shude i will try that clockwise/anti-clockwise moving the hose into the fuel tank :) might look like a pillock as the lady behind me last week thought i was mad with the constant clicking and taking ages just to get to £5 lol, the guy behind her actually went to another pump lol

mine does this too, from empty to half a tank its ok, after that clicking all the way!

apparently there is a vacuum box that is located behind the panel in the rear near the fuel filler pipe which gets blocked, but apparently is fairly expensive to replace, im sure this has been discussed on here on a previous thread.

I too used to get this on my C180k SE, did the same as Shude, but it didn't happen every time:crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom