Fuel Filter housing - coolant leak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

garycat

Car
2014 C Class 220CDI Coupe
It appears I have a coolant leak from the fuel filter housing (OM651 engine) and am told this is a common problem. Has anyone else had this and how much was the fix?

It looks like I need one of these, and its probably not a basic DIY job.

Genuine Mercedes-Benz OM651 Water Outlet - Fuel Filter Housing A6512003900 NEW | eBay

s-l1600.jpg

We charge around £225 for this job.

It is fiddly and time consuming. Probably best to let a garage do it.

Very common issue though!

Thanks. I assume that you would not recommend a pouring a bottle of radweld into it?

I’m halfway through this on 2011 Vito 116cdi, OM651 and very much regretting starting it.
Fiddly doesn’t start to cover it, it’s the access that’s the killer for me. The whole engine loom sits across where I need to be, and pulling on electrical connectors and snipping cable ties is scary stuff.
I’ve used all manner of socket extensions and knuckle connectors, mirrors, etc. As per jaymanek, it’s more for the professional and not for the faint hearted (on a Vito)
I’m fairly mechanically minded but think I’ve met my match here
I saw a YouTube post performing the removal on a Sprinter and that looked easy ( access wise) compared to the Vito. As usual, the how-to videos fast forward past the nigh on impossible bits with a “next remove the bracket” and as if by magic the next clip shows it out 😊
Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I’ve got the egr cooler out and the neighbours have learned a totally new set of expletives.

I’m halfway through this on 2011 Vito 116cdi, OM651 and very much regretting starting it.
Fiddly doesn’t start to cover it, it’s the access that’s the killer for me. The whole engine loom sits across where I need to be, and pulling on electrical connectors and snipping cable ties is scary stuff.
I’ve used all manner of socket extensions and knuckle connectors, mirrors, etc. As per jaymanek, it’s more for the professional and not for the faint hearted (on a Vito)
I’m fairly mechanically minded but think I’ve met my match here
I saw a YouTube post performing the removal on a Sprinter and that looked easy ( access wise) compared to the Vito. As usual, the how-to videos fast forward past the nigh on impossible bits with a “next remove the bracket” and as if by magic the next clip shows it out 😊
Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I’ve got the egr cooler out and the neighbours have learned a totally new set of expletives.
Update, job done and leak free.
The genuine merc fuel filter housing is updated from the original with the difficult access bolt holes now removed altogether and the weak area, where it mates to the block, is beefed-up
Take plenty of photos before you remove clips, hoses, electrical connectors. Suggest replace the EGR cooler gasket as preventative maintenance too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom