Fuel gauge got stuck on low, triggering light for low level of petrol although I have a full tank?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

noogieman

MB Enthusiast
Car
I Loewe Old Skool AMG
Few days ago I filled the tank to max which is 62 litres.
Yesterday, I start my car and fuel gauge was stuck on low and triggered the yellow lamp for low fuel.
Fuel gauge was stuck for a few minutes then went up to marker for full tank.

This has never happened before!
Could it be possible that the new petrol E10 with higher content of ethanol cause erratic behaviour on fuel gauge getting stuck because petrol has less energy content which is 1,8% less than previous 95 RON?
I hope my fuel tank sender is not on the way out?

Car is a W202.

Yesterday, I start my car and fuel gauge was stuck on low and triggered the yellow lamp for low fuel.

This has never happened before!
Could it be possible that the new petrol E10 with higher content of ethanol cause erratic behaviour on fuel gauge getting stuck because petrol has less energy content which is 1,8% less than previous 95 RON?
I hope my fuel tank sender is not on the way out?

Car is a W202.
More likely the age of the sensor.

Sounds like a faulty fuel sender.

not sure about your car but there are two on a w204.

wasn’t an expensive fix as I recall.

It certainly isn't because E10.

How would an electromechanical level sensor be aware of the energy density of the fuel.?

My car is 1998 C-class
I will report next time I drive my car if it appears again?

I have heard before about faulty fuel sender sensors for W202 but thought it was on early cars pre 98 caused by bad fuel?

It certainly isn't because E10.

How would an electromechanical level sensor be aware of the energy density of the fuel.?

Sensors don't they wear down from chemicals from petrol causing reading issues?

Sensors don't they wear down from chemicals from petrol causing reading issues?
It isn't E10!

How long have you been using E10 in the car ? How long has E10 fuel been used around the world?

It's either an electrical or a mechanical issue. After, all your car is 23 years old now.

Last edited:
Percentage of ethanol in fuel increased recently this summer, the issue with stuck fuel gauge happened after with the new petrol.
This summer I have filled my tank a few times with the new E10 petrol.

Can't say if it's an age related wear n tear issue or from the new petrol causing sticky fuel gauge?
Maybe only a coincidence?

Percentage of ethanol in fuel increased recently this summer, the issue with stuck fuel gauge happened after with the new petrol.
This summer I have filled my tank a few times with the new E10 petrol.

Can't say if it's an age related wear n tear issue or from the new petrol causing sticky fuel gauge?
A few think it’s age, you think it’s fuel but the reality is that it’s working again. Relax and if it happens again try some premium fuel and see what happens.

If the gauge reads high with low voltage and vice versa then the wire could have a short circuit to earth. Or just a sensor reaching the end of its life and being cantankerous. Just a coincidence that it happened with a change of fuel. 'When you hear hooves - think horses not zebras'.

Theoretically, if E10 has a different density then it could affect the reading very very slightly due to buoyancy effects (float sitting lower in less dense fluid) but not full scale. Aren't floats for petrol and diesel slightly different to allow for different fuel densities?

If the gauge reads high with low voltage and vice versa then the wire could have a short circuit to earth. Or just a sensor reaching the end of its life and being cantankerous. Just a coincidence that it happened with a change of fuel. 'When you hear hooves - think horses not zebras'.

Don't know how I would get a possible short circuit just like that out of the blue?
Perhaps sender is reaching it's end?

This summer, in my country all petrol stations switched from 95 to E10.
More expensive fuel cost for a total shorter driving mileage and less responsive car!! :eek:
It will probably get worse when further ethanol blend is added into petrol within 5 to 15 years from now?

I will report back in a few days if this problem happens again?

A few think it’s age, you think it’s fuel but the reality is that it’s working again. Relax and if it happens again try some premium fuel and see what happens.

Premium fuel E5 could possibly remedy the problem with my psychotic fuel gauge? :cool:

Don't know how I would get a possible short circuit just like that out of the blue?
Wire chafed through rubbing on chassis part. Ageing hardening insulation cracking. It happens.

Premium fuel E5 could possibly remedy the problem with my psychotic fuel gauge? :cool:
I really doubt it

Wire chafed through rubbing on chassis part. Ageing hardening insulation cracking. It happens.

I will have to check this next time I take my car to service, telling mechanic to check fuel sender connections?

You’re overthinking this.

Perhaps I do?

E5 cost more at the pump and is more energetic and effective power wise than E10.
Should E5 equal to Shell V Power 99 octane or is it the same?

When filled, did the gauge show 'full'?
Because if it did....
.... the chances of the sender sinking to the bottom (without being able to subsequently resurface) are so remote as to be improbable.
But it's working now - just a glitch (until it happens again).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom