Fuel gauge playing up - W208 CLK55 AMG

Discussion in 'Engine' started by MiG, Dec 8, 2008.

1. MiG

MiG New Member

Does anyone else have a problem with their fuel gauge? When this is filled right up it all sorts of confusion follows - reading full, empty and everything in between for the first half of the tank and then seems to right itself.

I now estimate how much fuel I need to fill the tank and put it in a little less and the gauge behaves itself...

2. mr. shr

mr. shr Hardcore MB Enthusiast

The fuel gauge on my old W208 wasn't very reliable but then I don't think they are on any Merc.
    On my W202, the needle will move just a couple of mm for the first 100 miles and then down to half a tank for the next 100 miles.

With both my cars, I always reset the milage each time I fill up, so I know how far I've gone on the current tank. When I hit 300 miles, I know it's time to consider filling up.

3. W210 Fan

W210 Fan Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W140 S500L W208 430
    Thats because some mercs have a wedge shaped tank with the shallow end at the bottom so the top takes ages and the bottom goes quicker,

4. rajinder_1

rajinder_1 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    01' Designo SL320 , 96' C36 AMG, 98' C43 AMG Estate 19' Focus & 96' ZX6R Ninja
    As for dodgy readings i have found that i never get it from Texaco Fuel, or i use Forte Gas Treatment every so often and fill up which normally clears it up....

i had it with both the SL and the C Class

Raj

5. BlackC55

BlackC55 Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Horndean, Portsmouth, Hampshire, Southsea
    Car:
    C43 AMG with a 55 engine and supercharger, E55 AMG, S500, etc
    Use some fuel system cleaner and your problem will be sorted.

6. Scorcher

Scorcher Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2004 E55 AMG
    My E55 went back to MB for a faulty keyless entry sensor, and while it was in they carries out a recall repair / replacement on the fuel sensor.

Wonder if it applies to all 55K engines?

7. OP
    OP
    MiG

MiG New Member

Thanks Scorcher. Will check that out after I've tried some fuel cleaner if it doesn't fix it.

Great wheels BTW - did you adapt those from standard? I have a snow white car and was thinking about getting the wheels done in black.

8. Scorcher

Scorcher Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2004 E55 AMG
    Nope - they came this way from AMG :)

9. skemball

skemball Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E320 CDi
    If the fuel level sender unit in the tank uses a conventional rheostat (resistor) type of design it implies that it might be worn/damaged/contaminated at the full-tank end, hence erratic reading. If this is the design it works on the principle of a metal contact arm that wipes across the variable resistor as the fuel level varies.

10. OP
    OP
    MiG

MiG New Member

That would explain it... Got some fuel cleaner in there at the moment. If that doesn't shift the problem, may just leave it as I can avoid the problem by not overfilling the tank (up to the cut off point at the pump). Very strange phenomenon.