Fuel leak advice please vito 108cdi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pongo2000

Banned
Car
2001 110cdi dualiner
Hello fellow forum-ers
I am after some advice again if possible. I have a fuel leak on my 108cdi i have already done a kitchen roll wrap test and dismissed the injectors as the faulty area. I noticed it when I changed a screaming ancillary belt which by the looks of it was because of the diesel on it. The problem is the leak has been hitting the belt and throwing it all over the place which has made it almost impossible to trace. The mechanic at work has had a brief look and has pointed out it must be below the fuel filter somewhere as its dry on the top and above it. He said there are a couple of pipes that run to the fuel pump from the bottom of the filter housing and it was probably one of them but he has said he is not an expert on merc but suggested that I remove the headlight grill and air box and then block the engine and remove the engine mount to get better access to try to isolate the leak and then repair it. This seems a bit OTT for a fuel leak and wondered if there are any easier ways to find it or if there is anything that is quite a common failure point. The engine is running fine but with a slight diesel knock and starts on the button and is still getting 35ish mpg. Any ideas..???
Thanks in advance:thumb:

Check the I rings at the end if the fuel lines also the high pressure fuel pump body can leak only from cold stop when it warns up. You have to look at the fuel pump just below where the pipes go on to it just after start up.
You will need to sort leak them clean off engine thourghly to get rid of diesel.
Probably have to replace coolant hoses as well as the diesel causes them to swell, split & then blow off

cheers benza.I will have a look tomorrow. is it possible to get to the pump without taking half of the front end apart or do I really need to strip it down just to get at the pump or is it quite an easy thing to do.

You can take the air box out easy. And the mount has two bolts at rear and two at front. Then one big bolt in the middle. I put jack underneath to hold the engine up. It gives good access to see around the fuel pump. Maybe a bit of a pressure wash will clean it enough and maybe oil remover. It seems like a lot but it all comes out quick and cleanly.

cheers Danny. Its on the to do list for next weekend. Lets hope for good weather, just praying its not the high pressure pump as the cheapest re con unit I have found is nearly £200 and that's with exchanging as well :eek:

I'd not worry yet, i *think* the seals where the plastic pipes enter the high pressure pump can be prone to leakage. Often after disturbance. I have not seen it myself but i recall other people mentioning it

I have a leak as well. When it leaks around the injectors area it fills up the rocker cover and leaks from the little tube sticking out to the right under the air pipe. Then down the right side of the engine. When its from the fuel pump or the fuel rail its down the front and left of the engine. Of course when left too long it leaks everywhere. But take of the air duct and box, and the inlet manifold ( only a few screws and no gaskets required) and then the top covers you can see and check all the connector pipes from the rail to the injectors. All in you can have the lot exposed in about 20 mins, the egr has to be removed also. The allen screws on the front of my egr are a little worn so i have to be careful removing these. Also cover the turbo intake pipe with a cloth to prevent any screws falling into pipe. Suggest cover the intake manifold too if you take the top part of. Next week i have a drive shaft to do and two glow plugs then repair the glow relay. I really wish i had bought a different car. Best luck with it anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom