Fuel leak in W202

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

babyblueCE

Car
300 CE
Hello all. I have a 1998 R Reg W202, every time I fill the car with petrol, there seems to be a small petrol leak only when filling up. When driving the car there is no leak at all. Does anyone know what will be the best way to diagnose the issue or get access to the pipe that leads from the fuel cap to the tank?

The rubber pipes that feed the fuel tank degrade, split and leak. Easy to change yourself. If you remove the wheel, there are a few bolts that hold the wheel liner. I didn't need to remove them all, as the liner can be folded back, it's quite flexible. Then your see the rubber pipes feeding the fuel tank which are secured with hose clips.

Attachments

• merc4.jpg
    merc4.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 32
Thank you jonc78 I will have a look at this. Do you know if the pipe is expensive?

No they are not expensive, although I cannot remember exactly what I paid for them. Normally it's the shorter pipe that needs replacing but I replaced both. When you fill with fuel do you fill the tank to the brim? I found that mine only leaked if I brimmed it, so for a while I only filled it to about 3/4, until I had replaced the pipes.

It only leaks when I put fuel in. I don't fill it to the brim

I had the same issue with my previous W202. It only takes the smallest of weeps to give out the smell of petrol.

As per the diagnosis above, on mine it was one of the pipes travelling to and from the fuel filter at the rear.

The pipe can be bought from Mercedes and is sold by the metre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom