fuel line replace w210

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ricardo62

Car
e320
Hi
My mechanic has let me down , booked him to come round today to replace the plastic fuel line that is the long 1 that runs from back of injector rail to the left side of i believe is the lift pump ,its the 1 that has a right angle as it goes into the pump? Im thinking about tackling it myself , i have the part that i collected from the dealer £expensive £39 inc 4 spare o rings , has anyone got any advice on what i have to remove to fit this and how difficult ?
forgot to mention my toolkit consists solely of a hammer and chisel , ala jeremy clarkson , im joking by the way.

Last edited:
What engine Ricardo? Is it the 3.2 as per your sig? At a guess, and from memory from changing my fuel filter a few weeks back, I think you're referring to the return fuel line that runs through the filter housing. All very accessible if you remove the engine covers. Lean over the N/S wing!

yes its the inline 6 , but its the long 1 that runs frm back of injector rail loops underneath hp pump and then a right angle where it fits into pump on lhs looking at engine from front , update i rang my mechanic and he said he will come to do it , but just not today , so im thinking rather than me muck it up to be patient and let him do it , hes qouted me £30 and hes an ex merc main dealer mechanic , says hes replaced them before on mercs , so maybe best to let him tackle it , the rad shroud has to come off apparently , and i will get him to fit some new green o rings as well on other joints while hes at it , o rings genuine part but green colour

I would be inclined to replace all of the pipes. The plastic ends become brittle and can snap when removed very easily. I replace all 3 pipes when I do this job, just to be safe.

I would be inclined to replace all of the pipes. The plastic ends become brittle and can snap when removed very easily. I replace all 3 pipes when I do this job, just to be safe.
thanks but i have only 1 leaking , and at £30 a pipe i think i will leave the others that arnt leaking alone , apparently he said that the pipe i described is the 1 that normally gives problems

They all leak at some point. £30 for the pipe is very reasonable. When he fits the new seals he will have to remove the pipes. be aware that they may snap. I'm just trying to save you aggro in the future. Do it properly, do it once.

Hi there I did this job myself recently on my 2002 E320 cdi. Assuming we are talking about the same engine. Im an accountant by training but an enthusiastic amateur mechanic. Ive changed engines, gearboxes, clutches, welded up an old beetle etc. If a full engine swap was a say a 8/10 in difficulty, id say this job was a 5 or 6. Its not complicated in itself but very very fiddly and lots of parts must be removed to gain access. £30 sounds very cheap indeed - your mechanic must have it down to a T.

Hi there I did this job myself recently on my 2002 E320 cdi. Assuming we are talking about the same engine. Im an accountant by training but an enthusiastic amateur mechanic. Ive changed engines, gearboxes, clutches, welded up an old beetle etc. If a full engine swap was a say a 8/10 in difficulty, id say this job was a 5 or 6. Its not complicated in itself but very very fiddly and lots of parts must be removed to gain access. £30 sounds very cheap indeed - your mechanic must have it down to a T.
he charges £30 an hour and reckons it takes an hour , and in responce to olly about £35 for a pipe being reasonable , well i disagree , its a piece of plastic with fittings on the end , prob made in china origanally cost of materials to make prob pence ..
1 other thing made me laugh while i was waiting in the main stealers parts shop , i saw they sold mercedes nail varnish in matching colours to the cars ie irriduim grey , and at a ridiculous price of £27 , now come on does any woman actually go into a dealers and think oh i will buy merc nail varnish , i just thought it was ridiculous
merc cufflinks were nice though

Last edited:
Meant to add I agree with blackc55, you might want to consider replacing all 3. The same components have to be removed to get to one of them. I did all 3 at once. Cost just under £100 in parts from MB Chelsea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom