Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR) Question - M111.920 Engine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo420

Car
'95 W202 C180, '97 W208 CLK320, '06 W639 Viano, '13 GT86, '07 RX300, '09 W211 E230, '15 Jaguar XF
Hi all,

Just wanted to do a quick fact finding poll especially with M111 engine owners regarding your fuel rail setup, specifically the fuel pressure regulators.

I own a 1995 W202 C180 Elegance with the M111.920 engine, with MPS (Manifold Pressure System is what that is I believe) and no MAF. My vehicle has two fuel pressure regulators on the fuel rail, one on the input side closer to the firewall (part number: Bosch 0 280 161 502), and one on the output side closer to the front of the car (part number: Bosch 0 280 160 587). Photo is attached below.

Since mine is leaking, I have been trying the source the input side FPR (502) to no avail, the parts websites I've gone through only sells the other FPR (587). I've tried installing a new 587 FPR in place of the 502, since both appear to be the same except for the nipple where 502 has a larger diameter hole with slightly different shape, however this caused my car to fail to start. I've learnt that the 587 FPR sort of 'blocks' the fuel input, I imagine its like a one way valve allowing fuel out but not in.

I continued searching, this time for complete fuel rails and so far the fuel rails that I've come accross only has a single FPR! Although the fuel rail its got two ports for the FPR at both ends, only one contains the part whilst the other appears to be sealed off.

So my question is, do you guys have one or two FPRs on your fuel rail?

Was there some kind of recall that I've missed... I know MB has updated the FPR with a new design (part 587 is the updated one I believe) If other engines have the one FPR configuration, do you guys know if I may modify my 502 FPR then by removing and rerouting its vacuum hose and then sealing the part off?

Any inputs/comments welcome :)

Cheers,
Mo420
uploadfromtaptalk1449405944840.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Edit: I just found out the 502 part is a fuel pulsation damper, not a regulator. Thanks to Mike @hfmscan for the info!

I was also told only earlier M111s have these... in which case do the later M111s that come without the FPDs have some kind of ECU reprogramming to compensate for this? I'm considering modifying my car for FPD removal if its possible since I cant seem to source this part...

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

If that were my car, I'd get hold of a later fuel rail from a breaker and fit it. If it doesn't work you can always refit your original one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom