fuel saving tricks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Herishi

Car
2007 E280 Sport
Guys

I notice whatever car I have, it gets worse in the winter.

This is particularly important now as my e280 is a bit of a diesel alcoholic :)

If I employ full hypermiling mode in the summer I get an average of 36-37mpg but now the weather has changed its 33-34mpg. And this is staying under 56mpg, only breaking if I absolutely have to etc.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can improve on this? I can barely afford to run the car at the moment and I don't want to have to get rid of it.

Thx

Steve

Yeah i only got 55mpg from the 320 last night lol, get a straight 6 you tart :)

I can't believe it gets worse milage than my 4x4!

Use V-Power Nitro Diesel - you won't notice any difference in mpg for 3 or 4 tanks but be patient as it does improve (worked on my E320CDi V6 and my current CLS320 CDi - better economy and extra Shell points actually make it cheaper in the long run). Take off mud flaps if you have them and put a couple of extra psi in the tyres. None of the above mean investing much - remapping helps too but that does cost and you'll have to do some miles to recoup it!

Use V-Power Nitro Diesel - you won't notice any difference in mpg for 3 or 4 tanks but be patient as it does improve (worked on my E320CDi V6 and my current CLS320 CDi - better economy and extra Shell points actually make it cheaper in the long run). Take off mud flaps if you have them and put a couple of extra psi in the tyres. None of the above mean investing much - remapping helps too but that does cost and you'll have to do some miles to recoup it!

Just wanted to add I don't work for Shell and don't know anyone that does! On reading my post back it seemed a little adverty!!!

ian1676 said:

+1 on the v power diesel. I'm on the 2nd tank and have noticed a small improvement. Might be a placebo effex but I'm sticking with the stuff

+1 on the v power diesel. I'm on the 2nd tank and have noticed a small improvement. Might be a placebo effex but I'm sticking with the stuff

Keep going - it really gets better after 3 or 4 tanks! I also think my cars run smoother and slightly quieter on it too. Not to mention the fact it's keeping everything cleaner - I part ex'd my E320 CDi with 172,000 miles on it - still on original injectors, fuel pump etc and egr valve (never had to clean it out either - don't think that's bad as they do tend to get full of soot over time).

Yep hooked on Shell v diesel car runs smoother, better mpg and doesnt smoke so much on boost. have been using it now for around 1,000 miles

Guys

I notice whatever car I have, it gets worse in the winter.

This is particularly important now as my e280 is a bit of a diesel alcoholic :)

If I employ full hypermiling mode in the summer I get an average of 36-37mpg but now the weather has changed its 33-34mpg. And this is staying under 56mpg, only breaking if I absolutely have to etc.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can improve on this? I can barely afford to run the car at the moment and I don't want to have to get rid of it.

Thx

Steve

Diesel formula changes for winter...and we all get fewer miles per gallon.

Next time you see merc85, take a long rubber hose with you and....well....you can figure out the rest :D

It's always going to give worse MPG in the winter due to longer warm up times and oil drag. Make sure you have the thinnest of the recommended oils in the engine transmission and final drives and garage the car overnight if you can. Here's the MPG of one of my vehicles which although it shows a gradually improvement over the years there are 9 clear annual cycles with for the most part a consistent 10MPG swing between summer and winter.

Petrol also is reformulated for the winter using more volatile fractions so there is a few percent reduction in energy content per litre.

Attachments

• MPG.png
    MPG.png
    20.9 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
This is exactly why I fuel up earliest as possible in the morning when it's freezing, or even at night when it's really cold

Fuel is denser at low temperatures, more bang for your buck. With the formula changes at winter time fuel evaporates quicker, every little helps!

Never mind Steve I only live around the corner from you just give me a call and I will tow you up the hill on Low Road that should help your MPG,do not think any fuel company has made any winter fuel yet they always leave it as late as they can,I have never found any mileage difference ,but will conduct a test as the BP garage is only 2p more that Asda,so I will invest £1.40p in the hope my S320 does 42mpg from it's normal decent run mileage of 36mpg.

I would have thought that a couple of miles per gallon drop would be insignificant unless you are doing mega mileage, say over 10,000 miles which as an average annual mileage it would probably cost about £90 is not a huge amount in my estimation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom