Fuel sender?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flyer

MB Enthusiast
Car
Ford Mustang GT
Not sure whether this was the correct section, but as the engine won't function without fuel, guess this is the correct one :) .

I was heading off to Gruppenfuhrer Brunstrom's lovely land yesterday and so filled my tank to the brim. There was about a quarter tank left beforehand. As I started the engine, the fuel gauge didn't move and the low warning light came on. I turned the engine off and tried again; still didn't move.

I moved off anyway. I had to stop about 50 miles later to allow my g/f to post something and whilst I was stationary, with the engine running, the fuel gauge needle slowly started to rise, right to the top. It then reduced as normal and appears to be OK today.

So ... is this a sign of problems to come? Is this the fuel sender? If it is a problem, is it likely to be a "big" problem? Expensive? <shudder>

Cheers
Andrew

I filled up full a few weeks back.

Pulled out station forecourt, guage rock bottom, fuel light on.

Fuel light flashed at it's own will from time to time. Next time I started the car, all fuel guage functions as expected.

Been normal ever since.

Mine did this a couple of years ago and has been fine ever since. I think lots of people have had similar experiences, some resulting in new sender units being required.

Hopefully yours is just a "glitch in the system" and will not occur again.

have had the same problem. but if you stop filling the moment the pump automatically clicks off, the fuel gauge always works. anytime I have then put it a little more after the pump click, it goes AWOL for about 50 miles.

Graham - that was exactly what mine did - the warning light flashing on and .off.

Simon - I hope so!

Jay - No! I've had it since new, but never had a recall notice. Any idea how I find out about it - other than through a dealer?

C - I stopped filling as soon as it clicked off. I was a bit surprised how much went in though (53.69 litres) as the warning light hadn't come on yet (about 1/4 left), so wonder if I did, inadvertantly, overfill it???

Well they were definately recalled/being replaced at service. My 99 CLK320 coupe/cabrio both had the paperwork for it being done. Id ring up the dealer.
Also another member on here had his done by the dealer recently as he also had problems - think its was silversaloon??

That's wierd... I had exactly the same thing happen to me in my CLK last Saturday night. Filled ip until the pump shut off then topped up to nearest pound. Left forecourt - tank read empty. At some point later that night, gauge started working again.

Would a dealer be able to tell me if the recall work had been done?

my C class diesel did weird things (W reg) - had sender replaced under warrentee - my CL does odd things for the last quater of a tank (i found the TSB for my car and it says replace instrument cluster :eek:)

My fuel sender unit hit a rocky patch a few months back, around Jan/Mar 04 for a couple of months. The dash gauge would always read empty after fill up with the fuel reserve light flashing on and off. After 50 or so miles from fill up the reading would settle down to an accurate measurement.

Seems to be working fine from about Apr onwards though, so fingers crossed. Though knowing my luck after this post it'll give up the ghost for good :rolleyes:

S.

what a waste of time i have had all the problems that all you guy's are talking about and i contacted the dealer and they are brushing me off that there was no recall on this model i drive a 2001 230k cabrio clk and the warranty finished in march and all they can say is £390 please consindering the part cost 103 plus VAT the rest in labour unless anyone has a letter that can prove that there was a recall they are not interested any one got a letter please advice

cheers

don

yes my senders were dodgy too. dealer said it wasnt a recall - i didnt argue as my garage (where i bought the car 2nd hand) paid for it. incidently they said one sender was rusted :eek: on but replaced one side only. cost about £150. has worked ever since tho. :rock:

Had similar kind of problem with my c220cd when i first had it. Used to run fuel down till' yellow warning light appeared or just about. Tried re-filling at three quarter mark and have had no problems ever since. Overfill has never caused problem either! Think electronics linked to sender unit gets confused as soon as fuel reaches warning indicator level .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom