Fuel smell on a SLK230K 1998

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Regt

My SLK230 1998 model smells of petrol fumes when I use the vehicle or switch of the engine after parking the vehicle in my garage

Removing the petrol cap releases the fuel system of pressure but does not cure the problem. My local mechanic states he cannot find any problems with the vehicle but my garage stinks of petrol fumes when I use the SLK and switch of the engine.

Is there a fuel tank breather on this vehicle or does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. Where would I find the carcoal filter

Are you sure its pressure and not a vacuum as you release the cap?

Item 17 filter, item 5 is the valve under the bonnet that allows the engine to suck the petrol vapour out of the tank hence the vacuum thats meant to be there.

B47060000211.0378.gif

Lynall

Last edited:
I have the same problem. My mechanic told me there is a slight seepage from the pump but not worth bothering about but also he doesn't want to change the filter in case he disturbs the pump and makes the leak worse. Personaly i will be getting a new filter and pump.Does anyone on here know the part number for the pump?. There is a company on ebay doing them for £50 for a 200 but he needs the number for the 230.

Alan

i've got the same problem with my w202. i used to notice it when i was round my grandads, as it smelt then. But had a service before I took the car off him and they found no immediate problem to it. If there's no problem, there's no worry in my mind. But I dont really enjoy sniffing fumes :s

I have the same problem. My mechanic told me there is a slight seepage from the pump but not worth bothering about but also he doesn't want to change the filter in case he disturbs the pump and makes the leak worse. Personaly i will be getting a new filter and pump.Does anyone on here know the part number for the pump?. There is a company on ebay doing them for £50 for a 200 but he needs the number for the 230.

Alan

stick to OEM MB part or go to Euro car parts and buy a unit from a reputable manufacturer. If you buy cheap ebay crap you end up with a cheap part that wont last long.

Alan

Just get a good second hand one from e bay or similiar, i dont think ive seen a post regarding a knackered pump yet so most will be good to go again.
Plus it will be oe so hopefully have plenty of life in it.

Lynall

anyone know how to remove the panel of the wheel well nearest to the gas tank filler pipe?

Jack car up remove wheel and have a look cant be to hard, most trim panels/wheel arch liners are held on with clips or screws my fronts are.

Lynall

I've just noticed your query about the smell of petrol from your SLK. I've also got a 1998 SLK 230 with the same problem and can't find a cure. Did you manage to cure the petrol fuel smell and how were you successful?

Brian

The carcoal filter maybe blocked.

Olly when would this happen? Is it more likely on high mileage cars or can lower mileage cars have a problem with this filter getting blocked. Was there a recommend service interval/mileage for this to be changed?

Hi,
Had a smell of fuel on my C43 no apparent leak but it did get worse the more fuel that was in the tank, it was traced to a perished pipe adjacent to the fuel filler neck behind the rear O/S wheel, it still showed no signs of a leak but it was noticably perished, replaced it and no more petrol smell.

I also had the same type of problem on my C230K....one very slightly perished rubber fuel line at the fuel pump. Not even enough to cause a drip, but it really gave out some petrol fumes after shutdown and initial statrup :crazy:

Thanks I'll look at the fuel pipes again more closely. As well as the smell of petrol there appears to be a build up of pressure in the petrol tank-- you can hear it when you release the petrol cap. I've a feeling the petrol smell might be coming from the cap due to the build up of pressure.

Fuel Smell!!

Hi, I had this same problem on a Mazda MX5 with the fumes coming through the ventilation system. I carried out all the suggestions listed here with the charcol filters and piping etc. I found the cause of the problem, and the cure. The spark plug nearest the the bulkhead was slightly loose and the fumes were emitting from there. Once tightened, problem solved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom