Fuel, so i have read a few threads on here but.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I use tesco in my xfs jag it doesn't even go on many long journeys owned it 3 years now no issues whatsoever

First off you said “the size of the entire U.K.” for 10 cars a day, now you’re simply saying “you refuse to believe any garage in the U.K. does 10 a day” so which is it?
It's both, I implied that any garage that does 10 DPF's a day, every day, every week and all year round, would have cater for every car in the UK that has a DPF problem. Add to that, they would have no time to do anything else and would have to be renamed, "DPF's are us", and cover the whole of the UK doing nothing else bit DPF's!

I did have an e320 2006 120,000 miles i was told there was a build up of carbon by my indi he told me to put some diesel injector cleaner in it, but in the 6 years i owned it never had any problems, 90% supermarket diesel but i dont think that had a dpf but i dont know. I was just worried the 2016 c220d may get it blocking up as don't go up the motorways too often. Thanks for all your answers gang.

I did have an e320 2006 120,000 miles i was told there was a build up of carbon by my indi he told me to put some diesel injector cleaner in it, but in the 6 years i owned it never had any problems, 90% supermarket diesel but i dont think that had a dpf but i dont know. I was just worried the 2016 c220d may get it blocking up as don't go up the motorways too often. Thanks for all your answers gang.
Ive got a cla 220d shooting brake bought brand new 2018 now got 30k on it only ever put tesco in it no motorway driving no issues

When will people stop referring to "Supermarket fuel"

The Supermarkets do not refine and produce it. It comes from, as has been stated ad infinitum, one of the 7 UK main refineries and generally has a high turnover.

All of that base fuel is refined and produced to be of the same standard.

It is a very simple concept to understand.

If you have a bad experience with fuel then it may be an indication of poor local storage. It is not an indication of poor quality due to retailer.

Also, if Supermarket fuel stations sell the highest proportion of fuel then logically they would have, statistically, the highest number of fuel related issues.

Again this is just down to statistics and not any proof whatsoever of lower quality fuel eminating from Supermarket retailers.

The Supermarkets do not refine and produce it. It comes from, as has been stated ad infinitum, one of the 7 UK main refineries and generally has a high turnover.

If you have a bad experience with fuel then it may be an indication of poor local storage. It is not an indication of poor quality due to retailer.

Also, if Supermarket fuel stations sell the highest proportion of fuel then logically they would have, statistically, the highest number of fuel related issues.

Again this is just down to statistics and not any proof whatsoever of lower quality fuel eminating from Supermarket retailers.
Tbh im sick of hearing about it 🙃 fuel is fuel in my eye's only abroad ie germany its different due to higher octain

DPF problems are mostly due to people buying diesels to do a 2 mile commute into town.

Tbh im sick of hearing about it 🙃 fuel is fuel in my eye's only abroad ie germany its different due to higher octain
Higher octane fuel is wifey available in the UK, albeit 99 RON is only available from Tesco, Shell, and I’m sure I read that Esso are introducing it. That said other many petrol stations supply 97 RON.

Higher octane fuel is wifey available in the UK, albeit 99 RON is only available from Tesco, Shell, and I’m sure I read that Esso are introducing it. That said other many petrol stations supply 97 RON.
Correct i was talking about a few years ago when I spent 10 years there ( should of mentioned it ) i had a bmw which wouldn't run on uk fuel but alot has changed 👍

Correct i was talking about a few years ago when I spent 10 years there ( should of mentioned it ) i had a bmw which wouldn't run on uk fuel but alot has changed 👍
Unusual for standard petrol to cause problems, the majority of petrol-powered cars are designed to run on 95 RON and have been for many years.

Was your BMW an M series or more highly tuned? I believe they need higher octane fuel to run correctly.

Even so modern engines should be able to cope when used with fuel of a lower than recommended octane rating as they are fitted with knock sensors etc that will retard ignition to cope although this will mean reduced performance.

Unusual for standard petrol to cause problems, the majority of petrol-powered cars are designed to run on 95 RON and have been for many years.

Was your BMW an M series or more highly tuned? I believe they need higher octane fuel to run correctly.

Even so modern engines should be able to cope when used with fuel of a lower than recommended octane rating as they are fitted with knock sensors etc that will retard ignition to cope although this will mean reduced performance.
No it was a e21 323i LHD

To be fair there’s a common misconception by many that paying less for something means it’s inferior.

Not just with fuel but with things such as car parts - people prefer to buy the same branded part in an MB bag/box for a premium price rather than the identical Lemförder part direct from another supplier for 50% of the cost. 😂

To be fair there’s a common misconception by many that paying less for something means it’s inferior.

Not just with fuel but with things such as car parts - people prefer to buy the same branded part in an MB bag/box for a premium price rather than the identical Lemförder part direct from another supplier for 50% of the cost. 😂

I know it's the same... but having the star logo on a part that will never see the day of light after being fitted to the car gives me a nice feeling inside. Seriously. And I have a suspicion I am not alone in this.....

I know it's the same... but having the star logo on a part that will never see the day of light after being fitted to the car gives me a nice feeling inside. Seriously. And I have a suspicion I am not alone in this.....
😉

Believe me if i could of found a lh side camcover for the facelift w204 c63 at 50% of the MB price i would of bought all of them and sold them on here 😎

You are more likely to run into trouble buying fuel from a small garage, especially if it's low-volume premium fuel, because the low turnover means there's more chance of fuel decay or water contamination etc.

You're less likely to have issues with fuel - of any type - bought from a busy supermarket forecourt or Motorway services.

But ultimately no fuel will in itself cause the engine to fail, unless it's contaminated in some way.

Not using detergents in the fuel, however, will cause the engine to choke-up with carbon deposits over time, and this will be more significant on engines doing short journeys as there'll be nothing to stop the heavy carbon build up, leading in turn to poorer mpg and loss of bhp. Not everyone cares, though.

You are more likely to run into trouble buying fuel from a small garage, especially if it's low-volume premium fuel, because the low turnover means there's more chance of fuel decay or water contamination etc.

You're less likely to have issues with fuel - of any type - bought from a busy supermarket forecourt or Motorway services.

But ultimately no fuel will in itself cause the engine to fail, unless it's contaminated in some way.

Not using detergents in the fuel, however, will cause the engine to choke-up with carbon deposits over time, and this will be more significant on engines doing short journeys as there'll be nothing to stop the heavy carbon build up, leading in turn to poorer mpg and loss of bhp. Not everyone cares, though.
Mark.

Thank you for an interlugeht and well constructed response as ever.

I agree entirely with your comments except for the inevitability that engines will choke up with carbon over time if you do not use additives.

A lot will depend on the engine design, and how it is used and looked after

I have run a petrol engine to 225,000 miles and always on regular 95 RON fuel.

That engine was still passing emissions tests with low Co values, rationing good consumption figures and running smoothly without any additional cleaning chemicals being used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom