Fuel, so i have read a few threads on here but.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not using detergents in the fuel, however, will cause the engine to choke-up with carbon deposits over time
I do wonder if anyone has stripped down a healthy diesel engine that's used ordinary fuel, such as mine, to see if there is a mysterious build up of carbon etc around injectors, fuel lines and intake valves as we are lead to believe ?

Believe me if i could of found a lh side camcover for the facelift w204 c63 at 50% of the MB price i would of bought all of them and sold them on here 😎
There are always exceptions. My point still stands.

So reading through the threads on here about Premium fuel, for and against. Reading about it can stir a few people up, i have a diesel w205 30000 miles i will put in premium some of the time and sometimes put the cheaper one in, hopefully it will keep everyone happy? and the dpf filter i hope . Now the question, WHY do you always talk about Shell premium Why never Esso ? whats wrong with Esso thanks.
I worked on fuel takers in the midlands and would like to make this clear most of the fuel in midlands comes down a pipe line from Scotland to the terminals this is both petrol and diesel in the same pipe when at the distribution terminal the different companys add there own adjertives to make different grades. Esso fuel came from wales I believe. i think we all believe one brand to be better I my self tend to go for shell.

the fuel in midlands comes down a pipe line from Scotland to the terminals this is both petrol and diesel in the same pipe when at the distribution terminal
They use the same single pipe , or a series of pipes within a main pipe ? So it comes in already refined, filled in storage tanks and Shell, Esso etc add their own additives but the supermarket storage tank don't get the additives ? Why is Shell your preference ?

An interesting finding Lee but I would imagine statistically a little misleading based on a relatively small sample?

We all know that the majority of motorists (many millions) but fuel because it is convenient (sold at the supermarket they are shopping at), or it is on offer at a particular retailer or they need fuel and stop whatever.

There is relatively little "brand" loyalty amongst the majority of private motorists I suspect?
We only ever had a DPF problem with one vehicle and that was a motorhome Fiat Ducato chassis
warning light came on took to dealer only 20,000 miles but out of warranty on time. Had to have the glow plugs changed as they switch on to help with regeneration while driving only run on premium fuel yet wife’s car always filled up at supermarket had no problems running round the houses.

We only ever had a DPF problem with one vehicle and that was a motorhome Fiat Ducato chassis
warning light came on took to dealer only 20,000 miles but out of warranty on time. Had to have the glow plugs changed as they switch on to help with regeneration while driving only run on premium fuel yet wife’s car always filled up at supermarket had no problems running round the houses.
Strange that, we had a new motorhome 2 years ago. They seem to do nothing or 300 miles non stop on the motorway, never do little short runs so ideal vehicle to keep the DPF hot and clean.

They use the same single pipe , or a series of pipes within a main pipe ? So it comes in already refined, filled in storage tanks and Shell, Esso etc add their own additives but the supermarket storage tank don't get the additives ? Why is Shell your preference ?

Each fuel supplier have their own additive tank onsite at the fuel depot, which gets added to the fuel as it flows into the tanker. So an Esso tanker hooked-up to the Esso pipe at the terminal will get the same base fuel but with the proprietary Esso additives. I found a video clip explaining this and posted it here a couple of years back.

The only fuel supplier that I know off that uses different base fuel is Shell V-Power (both petrol and Diesel), though to be honest I am not sure how much difference does it make - I would have thought that the main differentiator between fuels is the additive pack.

Last edited:
Each fuel supplier have their own additive tank onsite at the fuel depot, which gets added to the fuel as it flows into the tanker. So an Esso tanker hooked-up to the Esso pipe at the terminal will get the same base fuel but with the proprietary Esso additives. I found a video clip explaining this and posted it here a couple of years back.

The only fuel supplier that I know off that uses different base fuel is Shell V-Power (both petrol and Diesel), though to be honest I am not sure how much difference does it make - I would have thought that the main differentiator between fuels is the additive pack.
What I am saying is the fuel came to the distribution site via one pipe from the refinery this was operated by a company called British pipe Line who run and maintained it. On this site were Texaco Mobil Jet Shell BP and more BPL distributed the fuel to these companies IE the same fuel
the addatives put in by the different companies.

T

This is true what I am saying .

Exactly , and as confirmed by a tanker driver I remember confirming .

Yes the fuel comes down one pipe to distribution depots were company who own the pipeline split it between the fuel companies who add there own additives . My preference for shell I’m not sure why. Not sure what additives are in supermarket fuel but would have additives would think the buying power of supermarkets would not want inferior fuel.

Strange that, we had a new motorhome 2 years ago. They seem to do nothing or 300 miles non stop on the motorway, never do little short runs so ideal vehicle to keep the DPF hot and clean.
When the problem with are motorhome started we were on are way into Italy from south of France. Could not find a dealer to do more than put an OBS reader on and clear codes this lasted 5 minutes. It’s a long story but we limped home were Fiat dealer had to strip engine cylinder head scrap one piston plus DPF sensor. I was been faced with over £3000 bill in a rage I fired a email to Fiat telling them there engines were crap. Next day I received a call from Fiat Italy were I explained all that had happened, in turn they contacted the dealer and informed them that they would pay for repairs due to low miles Plus previous problems lodged . See it pays to complain.

Unless one is doing inter-galactic sales-rep mileages is the difference in the cost of a tank of V-Power over supermarket fuel that exorbitant?

Let's hear from the electric car owners. Which brand of electricity is best, the cheap stuff or the higher-priced from the big suppliers? I think we should be told...

Let's hear from the electric car owners. Which brand of electricity is best, the cheap stuff or the higher-priced from the big suppliers? I think we should be told...
It'll be that which comes from solar PV, on one's own roof ....

Unless one is doing inter-galactic sales-rep mileages is the difference in the cost of a tank of V-Power over supermarket fuel that exorbitant?
I wonder if your future vehicle was designed to run on V power from manufacture and Shell bought out new V power plus + for 15p litre more you would run it on that ? Just to be safe ?

.....most of the fuel in midlands comes down a pipe line from Scotland to the terminals this is both petrol and diesel in the same pipe when at the distribution terminal the different companies add there own additives to make different grades...

For petrol is it also true that the ethanol content is added at the distribution terminal because it affects the pipelines or something.

I wonder if your future vehicle was designed to run on V power from manufacture and Shell bought out new V power plus + for 15p litre more you would run it on that ? Just to be safe ?

I just Googled "V Power Plus", "V Power +", and "V-Power Plus" - but it doesn't seem to be available anywhere - do you know where I can find it? I'm willing to travel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom