Fuel System Decarboniser On This Week's Wheeler Dealers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nicensleazy

Car
1998 CLK230
I don't know if anybody saw this weeks Wheeler Dealers on Discovery or caught it on Killer Hertz's very useful link thread but I was fascinated by the engine clean up done by Edd China on the Jag XK8.

For those that haven't yet seen it, they take a late 90's XK8 circa 80k on the clock and Edd puts it on a spectrum analyser clocking up about 1% carbon monoxide (not bad) and a whopping 540 ppm in hydrocarbons.

Then he wheels out this machine which looks like an air con topper upper, which forces highly refined fuel through the engine under pressure. It uses separate solutions for both the pre and post combustion chambers. The actual fuel tank is disconnected so it purely runs on the refined mixtures for about an hour. The object of the exercise is to dramatically drive out the carbon deposits that have built up over the years.

At its conclusion Edd bangs it back on the analyser and records a 50% reduction in CO and hydrocarbons of a mere 76 ppm. He mentions that it's a fairly new process that should cost about £70 at a garage.

Couple of questions, the first being does anyone know where to get it done and secondly is it really as good as it sounds or is it a bit of that 'snake oil' that sometimes finds its way over the Atlantic from our American cousins.

If it is as good as it sounds, for people like me with fairly elderly cars I would have thought it would be a worthwhile exercise, especially at MOT time.

Didn't see the show but a few tanks of VPower should do the same thing and only costs about £4 per tank with no downtime for the car at all! :)

T'would be interesting to see the same car on the analyser in a few months time.

Shude said:
Didn't see the show but a few tanks of VPower should do the same thing and only costs about £4 per tank with no downtime for the car at all! :)

While a few tankfuls of V-Power or Ultimate will make a difference, I am not sure that it will thoroughly clean the engine, a safer bet would be to use premium fuels regularly from new and prevent the carbon deposits from forming in the first place.

What would indeed be interesting though is to compare the performance of this process with regular use of premium fuels and/or with conventional petrol treatments such as Redex or Forte.

And there's also PowerBoost that makes similar claims.

Last edited:

I generally use an additive 3 or 4 times a year and it has got through up to now. Just checked the MOT readout for my last test done in July with 94k on the clock and at fast idle Co was 0.20% and hydro carbons were 200 ppm so maybe I'm doing something right.

Where are you buying your V-Power? - it costs me a lot more than £4 per tank full.

It's around 4p per litre more expensive than the regular stuff around here, so on a 100L tank it's £4 more.

Probably Saudi Arabia???:D
Ten years ago it was about 4p/litre for petrol in Saudi so you're not far off! There were riots when it went up from 2p/litre.

Just done a bit of googling and it seems this process goes under the market name of Terraclean there's a demonstration of it on Youtube. I've tried to post a link to do it but can't work out how to do it properly.

Seems a bit usual American sales spin possibly

I saw it, it seemed pretty good to me!

This was the system that Ed used: TerraClean

Ciao.

Saw the show and it looked impressive.
Any dealers doing this in the South East?

I'm sure a water injection spray would have a similar effect.

TerraClean

It seems they're using Ed China in most of their advertising in the UK. It does seem to be a good idea though, despite my naturally cynical distrust of product placement.

Look where it got Richard Hammond.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom