Fuel to Cost More at Peak Times

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thats one of the dumbest things i ever heard. What if supermarkets did this on our food shopping there would be uproar.

Higher prices during bank holiday weekends is nothing new. it seems the new technology will just allow them to make more frequent changes.

Easy solution; don't fill up at peak times.

No difference in essence to the cost of train tickets? Or flights? Etc.

but gives the lie to their assertion that they are not cynical profiteers.

Charging what the market will bear? It's called capitalism.

2p a litre more? That's, say, between 0.2 and 0.4 pence more per mile. I can't really get too excited over it, though I can understand haulage companies and high-mileage drivers might.

On the other hand, one of the comments is: "What would be better is if they charged more to all the people who do their weekly shopping in the shop without moving their car from the pump." Amen to that...

I always fill up late in the evening, nothing worse than a packed petrol forecourt full of people doing a bit of shopping while they're at it, the women who take five hours to set off after getting back in their car, the old dudes who park on the other side to their petrol cap and the pipe doesn't just quite reach...

Charging what the market will bear? It's called capitalism.

2p a litre more? That's, say, between 0.2 and 0.4 pence more per mile. I can't really get too excited over it, though I can understand haulage companies and high-mileage drivers might...

I have no doubt that thrifty uber drivers will time their refuelling stops to minimise cost.

It will mostly affect infrequent car users who wouldn't care too much about paying 2p per litre more as their annual mileage is very low.

And ultimately if done correctly then it will be a self balancing system.

Not sure it's such a bad idea overall.

Last edited:
I read in another article that a supermarket here is about to take it so they can drop the price if the store is empty to get more people in (as a fair percentage who go for fuel will pop into the big store and do a decent shop)

Richard

Don't really see it as an issue : if you can't be bothered seeking out lowest prices then pay more ; if you want to save then work out where and when to buy - easy enough really .

I always fill up late in the evening, nothing worse than a packed petrol forecourt full of people doing a bit of shopping while they're at it, the women who take five hours to set off after getting back in their car, the old dudes who park on the other side to their petrol cap and the pipe doesn't just quite reach...

A bi of a sexist and ageist generalisation. I have seen people of all ages and sex behaving as you describe.

Surely by doing this it will move the peak times?

I cannot wait until lots of people are driving electric cars and petrol cars will be all the rage I will be able to fill the diesel bus for £5 as nobody will want diesel and the oil companies will have to give it away,well it makes as much sense as altering the price of fuel depending on the time of day,did I ever tell you how I swept up all the sand in the Sahara and sold it back to the arabs so their camels did not wear their hoofs out on the bedrock,no well it is a long story,but no more daft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom