Full Fat Range Rover - 3 months on

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidjpowell

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 w212 and Ford Ranger
For many years I've longed for a Range Rover with no rational reasoning behind this. This is complicated by my work mileage making ownership of such a beast impractical. In May I finally found a way round this, and the wife now drives a Range Rover :)

The car that I bought was a 2005 Facelift, Full Fat Range Rover, 3.0 Diesel Vogue. This means that it brings lots of toys, and slightly improved fuel consumption. More on that later. Unusual toys of note include the Venture Cam, and very effective Heated Seats with electric controls adjusting the headrest forward and back as well as up and down.

13692026914_af8316c57d_b_zps2247fd1b.jpg

13691704075_7d3a4e81ba_b_zpsd5627dd2.jpg

First impressions were that the car is bloody big and rather slow. Time has not really changed that, although my perception has changed. People who are not used to the car talk about the engine noise, and it's true while accelerating it is vocal, but in an impressive, thunderous way that makes cyclists tremble. Friends talk about the feeling of speed as the car squats, and are then surprised to find we are doing only 40 miles per hour.

I've done a number of long trips, including the slog back from Le Mans, and the car is truly impressive soaking up the miles. Once up to speed the engine note quietens considerably.

I mentioned Le Mans didn't I? 1,100 miles round trip, with a 22 foot caravan behind. Bit of mud (unusual y less so than normal). 19 mpg - not bad I felt, although the mate who was car sharing was shocked at just how much juice it can swallow in one go. I keep the cost of a tank down to £115 by filling up at 1/4! Whils't on Le Mans - Mad Friday! Obviously no burn off's from me, but the crowd were very appreciative and positive comments all round on the car. It appears to win fans amonst petrolheads..

10407059_10202918052047121_2460676163063519652_n_zps98afeb08.jpg

What have I had to spend? The rear fuel pump packed up early on and cost me £280. I'd expected it at some point. Fuel consumption is worse that I'd hoped, 21 mpg in it's school run role, 20 mpg towing, and never anywhere near the 30 mpg that I'd hoped for. I've learnt not to look.

No serious off-roading yet, although we did have a very capable foray into a field in search of a mobile phone mast. The car also proved itself to be much quicker than expected when a swift return journey was needed to meet school pick-up times.

And today - we've been to London and back to collect a car for the step-lad. I think I've finally found the ultimate car. Full Fat Range Rover, the car that can do it all.

CC685883-35D0-4077-8BBC-A555C2EAEF48_zps7rubrbza.jpg

Would love one of these but I'm just not brave enough!

Funnily enough I met a business associate at a customer a couple of weeks ago and he turned up in one. Same reasoning as you - he'd got it for his wife as it made no sense as his work car but it used it for that trip as it wasn't far.

The customer did comment on it though, and didn't really buy the "oh it's an old one now" response.

Very nice. It's not often you see one without dark tinted windows, and it looks better for it IMHO :thumb:

No surprises there!

I have to admit to smirking on the odd occassion when a RR overtakes me at high speed (80+) on the motorway.

Superb transport - if you can afford it. :thumb:

No comment

OK.

Would love one of these but I'm just not brave enough!

Funnily enough I met a business associate at a customer a couple of weeks ago and he turned up in one. Same reasoning as you - he'd got it for his wife as it made no sense as his work car but it used it for that trip as it wasn't far.

The customer did comment on it though, and didn't really buy the "oh it's an old one now" response.

I'm wary of using mine for work, although some times it's just too tempting. Clients are used to my cars changing.... Only one has commented, (the boss was out leaving his assistant, a young girl). She struggled with it's an old one a little. This was at a 'Segwaying' event that they were hosting so I could get away with it....

Very nice. It's not often you see one without dark tinted windows, and it looks better for it IMHO :thumb:

Completely agree.

No surprises there!

I have to admit to smirking on the odd occassion when a RR overtakes me at high speed (80+) on the motorway.

Superb transport - if you can afford it. :thumb:

I don't often do those speeds in it on the Motorway. Still looking for the holy grail of 30 mpg. I'll never get there without a remap, which could murder the gearbox.

Will it run on biodiesel?

Not the foggiest. It's the BMW 3.0 diesel unit.

Yes, the BMW M57 can be run on biodiesel. Handbook says not to and there are a couple of internet warriors out there, but anyone who's actually tried it has continued to run their cars long term with no adverse side effects.

Some of them take some precautions like not using biodiesel on the winter months and mixing a small amount of 2 stroke oil.

I don't often do those speeds in it on the Motorway. Still looking for the holy grail of 30 mpg.

Even the old 2.5TD would easily crack along at more than 80+. A colleague and I once met one of our regional Directors at LFE before driving to Bolton. 95 was attained the whole way there.
A Rangie at those speeds definitely clears the traffic. ;)

Even the old 2.5TD would easily crack along at more than 80+. A colleague and I once met one of our regional Directors at LFE before driving to Bolton. 95 was attained the whole way there.

It will do it just fine....

I wouldn't dispute that.

I was merely alluding to the fuel consmption at high speed.

:)

I wouldn't dispute that.

He went back to London at 4:00am the following morning. I suspect he needed to refill the tank pretty sharpish.

For all their bad publicity, the Range Rover is a brilliant vehicle and just like any other big purchase if you do your homework you should end up with a cracking vehicle.

My RR Sport has been gone for a few weeks now and I miss it already, there's just something very right about owning a Land Rover.

A few years ago I had a mate down from LR for an alternator splash test, it was a RR with the JLR V8 giving roughly 550bhp he tanked it before leaving Gaydon and we had to refuel it before testing, it was running a bit rich :(
He was mighty pleased I had my fuel key with me! :D

It's still here and proving itself to be a much better car than my similar age Merc. I've been finding it useful for work having been down a few fields to visit mobile masts over the last couple of weeks. It still likes a drink though!

ee2c647442b8b6e4eb1d5e4f2bd23c50_zps7e1ce3de.jpg

10915226_10204301855721348_280754927840832784_n_zps8ab59ac8.jpg

davidjpowell said:
It's still here and proving itself to be a much better car than my similar age Merc. I've been finding it useful for work having been down a few fields to visit mobile masts over the last couple of weeks. It still likes a drink though!

I had pretty much the same car. Must admit I miss it for its ability and the feeling it gives you when driving! It's main downfall for me was it was so heavy it handled like a boat unlike the disco3 which was a much more planted platform. Other than that there's nothing on the 4x4 market that can touch them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom