Full Fat Range Rover - 3 months on

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If you haven't owned a Range Rover, you don't know what you're missing.
The only downside (up to now) is the MPG, but I was fully aware of that before I bought mine and it's not that much worse that the 430.

It is a truly fabulous motor. :cool:

An actual owner with another Range Rover that doesn't actually fall apart?

This is proposterous David, someone needs to email the "All German Cars Are Most Supreme Club" and tell them!

Joking aside, it looks great, the facelift L322 was a Great Leap Forward from the earlier model, I'm sure you'll have plenty more fun in it.

This is proposterous David, someone needs to email the "All German Cars Are Most Supreme Club" and tell them!

Joking aside, it looks great, the facelift L322 was a Great Leap Forward from the earlier model, I'm sure you'll have plenty more fun in it.

No signs of corrosion either. ;)

I had one of these from new just after they were launched in 2002...
IMG_6942.jpg

Again my wife used to drive it mostly as the main family car. Not super reliable compared to previous RR's as it suffered from driveshaft issues, ride height sensors and leak in boot that blew the sat Nav system a couple of times ;). All well known issues that were resolved by the next version we had.

I don't remember the mpg being that bad, although my wife has a gentle foot, and like you it soaked up the long distance miles really well on European jaunts. I thought the GM box wasn't that great though, and certainly not as good as the ZF in the V8's.

I had the useful extra seats fitted by Overfinch, that were handy at the time when the children were small...
seatsopenside.jpg

As you say they make a great all round vehicle. Moving into the city got me to kick the RR buying habit, and I must admit I don't miss them. Not sure I'd go back too. Although they are still very accomplished, the l322 started the trend of big size jump, without an appreciable space benefit inside and since McGovern took over design they cater too much fir the footballer's wives set. Not knocking as it sells cars, and that's what he's paid to do, just not to my tastes.

Hopefully he doesn't screw up the new Defender too much! :)

cheers, Steve

Hopefully he doesn't screw up the new Defender too much! :)

I fear this is almost inevitable between safety regs and the need to target a certain sort. I reckon the likes of Twisted et al could do well buying up the last of the current shape and continuing to offer then with their conversions.

I fear this is almost inevitable between safety regs and the need to target a certain sort. I reckon the likes of Twisted et al could do well buying up the last of the current shape and continuing to offer then with their conversions.

Old defender will still be manufactured but not in EU, for ROW consumption.

I am sure there will be plenty of "personal imports" by the likes of Twisted sold for those who value a real off road truck.

The new Defender; on the one hand, I can't wait to see what they have done to rectify some glaring faults (design, build, quality) and on the other I am concerned that they are going to build something that won't be as easy to modify or maintain. We can only wait and see.

Sorry to disappoint Lee but make that (so far!) 3 :)

I should qualify that by saying that I rarely get to drive it unless it needs fuel, actually, thinking about it, that is still quite often :D

Having said that, looking over the history and receipts it has had pretty much all of the suspension replaced along with a gearbox!

Old defender will still be manufactured but not in EU, for ROW consumption.

I am sure there will be plenty of "personal imports" by the likes of Twisted sold for those who value a real off road truck.

That's good to hear. A return to the inward facing rear benches would be a real win, and I still think there's a place for them in the forestry and utility sectors.

I filmed some testing of those type of seats (actually in a helicopter) for military use, it was just a "hard landing" which was actually about half the force of a vehicle 30mph impact setting on the HyGe rig, we had four fully kitted (with dummy kit inc helmets!) anthropomorphics on each side.........the seats just tore out of the floor of the helicopter floorpan we were given.........they all ended up jammed into the cockpit area, the chaps from the manufacturers were never seen again :D

I would hate to think what the results would be for side facing seats in the back of a Landy in those tests! :fail

I filmed some testing of those type of seats (actually in a helicopter) for military use, it was just a "hard landing" which was actually about half the force of a vehicle 30mph impact setting on the HyGe rig, we had four fully kitted (with dummy kit inc helmets!) anthropomorphics on each side.........the seats just tore out of the floor of the helicopter floorpan we were given.........they all ended up jammed into the cockpit area, the chaps from the manufacturers were never seen again :D

I would hate to think what the results would be for side facing seats in the back of a Landy in those tests! :fail

Must say I wouldn't want to be sitting in them during an accident, but equally the 11 and 12 seaters are great for moving guys between sites or around farms.

What's falling off ! I'd love to own one of these but as has been said before don't think I'm brave enough

Gave it some welly (sans caravan) and afterwards was noisy. This metamorphosed to stuttering at 2-2.5 k with smoke. AA think Turbo related. Difficult to start when cold too.

Smoke is wrong colour for turbo - I'm hoping for a pipe or injector, but prepared for the worst!

I ran a RR when the 3.9 was the thing to have. I have to admit it was a lovely drive but so much went wrong it was frightening.

Never again anyway.

MPG figures gone up at least.

Cheapest journey back - although took 6 hours from Bristol.

Sadly the AA have stuck fast to their one recovery only and insist I should have had the car taken to a garage at midnight last night. It was on the paperwork that I signed in the dark.

I've had to pay for a 2nd recovery so my fuel savings out the window. Dare not drive it in case it is the Turbo and decides to run away.

Caravan is now stuck where it should not be until RR is fixed. Hopefully Water Board will not want to get anything large to their equipment (separate drive by the house).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom