Full Size Spare Wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E220D

Car
E220 AMG Sport
Hi, I have just entered the world of Mercedes-Benz ownership and I am loving it!
I would really love to replace the crappy space saver wheel with a full size spare. TBH I am not fussed if this is steel or alloy.
I have a 2010 W212 220 Sport with AMG 18'' alloys.
Any ideas/solutions?
Thanks

I would measure the available space first (depth and diameter). You wouldn't be the first who had to make alterations to get it to fit (that would be me) because I ASSumed.

Check that you don't have the staggered wheel setup. Wider on the back.
As it's the Sport variant it does have staggered wheels, so changing from the space saver is not wise.

Thanks for the feedback, yes they are staggered, 245/40/18 on the front, 265/35/18 on the rear. So it looks like sticking with the space saver.
I think I may still look at a steel option, the offset on the space saver must be Abel to deal with the differences between front to back.
Could keep me off the streets for a while :)

Thanks for the feedback, yes they are staggered, 245/40/18 on the front, 265/35/18 on the rear. So it looks like sticking with the space saver. I think I may still look at a steel option, the offset on the space saver must be able to deal with the differences between front to back. Could keep me off the streets for a while :)

Personally i'd invest in a can of tyre gunk* etc because if/when you get a puncture it's bound to be

1. dark
2. raining and most importantly
3. the car will be full of people and their luggage resulting in the conundrum of where to the put the full size wheel that's filthy and wet

10/10 to car manufacturers for thinking space saver wheels through thoroughly :crazy: Granted it wasn't their fault that this couple never thought to let the air out of a damaged tyre but if the car had a full size spare they would have had somewhere to put the damaged one and it wouldn't have taken a life when it went bang... BBC News - Woman dies after tyre explosion

* obviously having a can of tyre gunk means that if/when you get a puncture point #4 comes into play and it'll be a massive gash in the sidewall while points 1, 2 & 3 are in play

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom