Full synthetic oil - 6years old/sealed bottle - would you use it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cws196

Car
S205 C250d AMG Premium+
Does full synthetic oil have a shelf-life even when un-opened? I've been offered some Valvoline SynPower 0w40 which was bottled in May 2015 - Valvoline give conflicting advice so wondering what to do?

It really depends on the conditions in which it's been stored for such a long time. If it was stored in dry climate I would dare using it but if it has spent it's life in UK I wouldn't use it imho. All engine oil plastic bottles are porous and if stored in wet climate can absorb the water from the air.

yes

Just filled up one of the cars at the local service station & the cashier said the petrol was previously stored underground for millions of years before they got it there. 😃

As long as it hasn't been stored in freezing conditions which tends to thicken the oil, I wouldn't hesitate to use it but I'd give it a good shake first in case any of the additives have settled out. People have sent much older oil that that away to be analysed and the results have come back fine.

As a rule of thumb, lubricants usually outlast their containers. It is drums that need careful storage. Avoiding water lying on their surface is key as is avoiding frequent temperature fluctuations especially with rigid steel drums where contraction of their contents will draw in from outwith instead of just flexing. Greases are more sensitive due to their thickener bases releasing the oil from within ('bleeding').

Thanks all

I wouldn’t put it in my McLaren F1 but I’m sure it would be fine

It really depends on the conditions in which it's been stored for such a long time. If it was stored in dry climate I would dare using it but if it has spent it's life in UK I wouldn't use it imho. All engine oil plastic bottles are porous and if stored in wet climate can absorb the water from the air.
The water will be at the bottom of the bottle then. ?

A word to other owners . Do make sure that you remove every bit of the tin foil seal on the oil tin ,,or bottle . It never comes off in one piece .Amd if that foil gets in the engine it can stop vital oil passages up .

There won't be water in it and even if there was it would be obvious as cream coloured emulsion and would flash off pretty quickly in an an engine up to temperature.

There won't be water in it and even if there was it would be obvious as cream coloured emulsion and would flash off pretty quickly in an an engine up to temperature.
Industry standard is ~500ppm of allowed moist/water in engine oil that is ~0.05%. At 1000ppm (0.1%) it already makes engine oil look hazy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom