Fully draining power steering system (500sec)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Somebody

Car
500SEC
There doesn't to be much info about these cars. I tried looking everywhere for a workshop manual, but it seems even Haynes don't make one for the 126 or s-class, which is kinda annoying. So far the only manual I found was on ebay and sold on CD, and that only covers a few basic maintenance tasks that I could have worked out myself anyways.

Anyways, the power steering fluid in my car is probably factory and is yellow and looks somewhat...ripe for replacement. I got a new filter and a couple of liters of compatible power steering fluid, but my question is, how do I fully drain the power steering system?

I know the common way is to empty the reservoir, then briefly run the engine so it spits out a lot of the remaining fluid and empty that, but that still leaves a little old fluid in the system. Is there any way to drain it properly? Knowing MB they must have incorporated a drain screw somewhere or something? Or is it just a case of undoing one of the pipes and letting it drip out?

The manual which I bought on CD (the only one I could find) says how to check fluid level but does not say how to change it, which is weird considering it tells you how to change other fluids (like coolant and brake fluid).

Also, as a side question, does anybody know where I can get a decent manual? Not just a little basics one like I got but a proper full workshop manual?

Undo the return pipe from the rack and turn the steering side to side.

I would just undo the return to the reservoir and remove as much as possible, then perform another change in a week or so.

Do as dieselman said, this gets almost all of it out. You can add fluid and repeat to dilute and flush out the remainder. There is also a filter at the bottom that should be replaced

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom