Fully loaded smaller engined machines. .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

elite_504

Car
W205 C200 SE EE estate
Just a wondering. . .
A house move is taking me from a short cycle to work, to 63 miles each way. Running the C32 is going to cost a fortune, so ideally I'd like to change it for the moment, for a smaller engined model. Probably an oil burner, just for economy's sake whilst we get our feet under the table in our new house.

However, I've got used to the full rack of toys in the C32. Having taken a look at other c class estates with say the 220 cdi, or even the 270, the specs often seem really low. No comand, leather, climate etc.
Were all the smaller model c-class still available with the toys?

I guess I could always undertake a C30 conversion.... or, the C32 may come up for sale soon instead..

Yes they were but not many people specced them up that much. Firstly you need to do the maths. Even doing 150miles a day it could take quite some time to make it pay.

Short journey sounds like a good reason to keep the C32 not buy a smaller diesel. The actual fuel savings will be small with so few miles (albeit relatively worse) and any savings will be more than offset by the cost to change. The diesel won't get up to temp too on short journeys and so you won't get the best out of it.

Not that I'm biased!!

, no no no! I think I wasn't clear.
Now, six miles a day (don't use the car). Car just for weekends.
Will be, 124 miles per day, £8000 p/a in fuel, + 19" tyres at £1000 a set. I think I'd really rather £4500 p/a in fuel and the ability to run more economic rubber.

Ahhh. The opposite of everything I said then!! :D

I was in a similar position with a C280, so I decided to convert it to LPG. Of course there will be the naysayers who will tell you not to do it to an AMG, but do the maths and find a good installer.

, the specs often seem really low. No comand, leather, climate etc.

How many toys must you have vs how many do yo want? I'd imagine finding a car with leather and climate would be easy enough.......as for the other options?

When I was looking for a C270 estate 4 years ago, the first one I looked at was AG with leather and loads of toys, so they are out there! OK, I ended up buying a 2001 Elegance and then swopping for a 2008 C220 S204 with leather, Comand, heated seats and lots of other toys - but that cost 15.5k and is no more economical (perhaps less economical!) than the C270. Beware 1999-2003 cars - rust, Valeo rad etc.

Thanks for the input guys, all interesting food for thought...

Coming from a C32 you'd be sooooo disappointed with most smaller engined car that you'd soon be wanting your C32 back again. That'll be double losses on two sales, far outweighing fuel and rubber savings (and tax + insurance savings?) you would have accrued in the meantime. I'm biassed of course with my C350, but to me it gives the best of both worlds: performance and all the bells & whistles, without massive running costs.

Hmm, this is my fear.
Chances are I'll be commuting on the motorcycle as soon as there isn't an inch of frost on the floor at 6am.
I'll chew this one over.
I had a fiat coupé turbo some time ago, which I sold after 5 long years of love, as I just had to have an estate to get my bikes in the back of (no dropping seats in the Fiat). I bought an alfa 156 twinspark sportwagon, and only kept if for a few months as the slowness made me cross. And I got terrible economy as I had to wring it's neck to get anywhere (interior was nice though). I thought I'd wear 16mpg if I had 350bhp, but I didn't, so it went.
SO, I got the C32 as the kneejerk reaction. Does a damn site more than 16mpg too. Perhaps 63miles of morning motorway I might get near 30 out of it anyway. If I'm lucky. Best I've managed so far on a run is 29. Drops as the average speed climbs though....

Get the 270. You will genuinely get almost 50mpg on a clear run and that 170hp and 273lb/ft of torque is more than enough for high speed motorway driving.
They can be easily remapped up to 210hp and 325lb/ft torque as well.

Go test drive a C270, find the appropriate bit of road and floor it, you'll be surprised how well they go. OK, you'll possibly leave a black cloud for a while, but the number of chavs I surprised when I floored my 270 - wonderful! at the other end of the scale, sitting on the motorway at 70ish indicated and 24-2500rpm, very little noise - and on a fast run from Somerset to Tenterden Kent (mainly dual carriageway A303 and M25) the trip computer thing showed 52mpg and an average speed that was close to illegal!

That sounds fantastic. Just need to find someone who wants a swap for a c32!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom