Fumes Smell Inside

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimmy

MB Enthusiast
Car
Discovery 3 TDV6, Discovery 300TDi - Plaything!
I have noticed a smell of fumes inside the car, not chokingly bad but noticable. Always have the windows up so it must be coming in through the A/C. Also after a run you can smell hot diesel outside the car.

The car is an E320CDi 2003 Estate, has anybody else had this problem? It's going to the dealer for a service before June just wondered if anybody knew what it could be?

In some early 320CDI's they did develop a seepage of fuel that I believe accumulated in the plastic engine pan. I know that at least one of our members had this problem. Hopefully he will respond to your post?

Good luck,
John

Get the engine cover off and have a look even if its just so the stealers can't lead you up the garden path.

I had the same problem and it was a leaking injector seal.

My car is exactly the same vintage as yours and had about four diesel leaks all down to the use of cheap spring clips on the low pressure side. None were a great problem but annoying

Well know issue, MB warranty work that should involve the replacement of afflicted pipes & clips so dealers should not quibble

It does not take a lot of diesel to stink so it can be quite hard to spot some of the leaks

Good, it's not just me being hypersensitive then.

I have checked with the dealer and the car has had all recalls, so I guess this is not a recall item then.

Thanks for your help.

Not a recall but I understand there was a Technical Service Bulletin about this.

They should also change any rubber pipes that have had diesel leak onto them

Mine has been in for diesel leakage, which was apparant on the driveway overnight after usage. They were aware of the problem and fixed it under warranty.

Satch said:
Not a recall but I understand there was a Technical Service Bulletin about this.

They should also change any rubber pipes that have had diesel leak onto them

Has the fuel finally gone from the pan? ;)

I'll try to find any TSB's

Regards,
John

glojo said:
Has the fuel finally gone from the pan? ;)

I'll try to find any TSB's

Regards,
John

Yep. After last leaky episode (seepage from fuel filter feed pipe) they took the pan out and cleaned it up properly.

I'd go for injector seals too... Mine has had 5 injectors and seals just done @ MB.... £1500 - luckily it was warranty work..

Mike

I am sure the problem lies under the bonnet, but whilst trying to locate the relevant TSB a friend mentioned a problem he had with his petrol powered 211.

A fuel odour developed on my 03 e320 most noticeable in my garage. Spillage was never noticed. They performed a fuel leak inspection (removed rear seat bench, rear wheel wells/inner linings, engine cover, and underbody panels) and found fuel stains on the upper portion of the fuel tank. The fuel tank and all associated parts were replaced and the problem was solved.

I am certainly NOT saying this is the cause of your problem, but it might be worth checking if other options do not locate the pong.

Good luck,
John

I am the sort of person who would rather investigate this myself, like I did with the battery problem. MB dealer had it in 4 times to check the battery problem and said they couldnt find anything!!! I put a new, biiger battery - problem sorted.

As you can tell I don't have much faith in MB dealers, but I guess I will put it in for a service and get them to check this problem.

jimmy said:
I am the sort of person who would rather investigate this myself, like I did with the battery problem.

If you enjoy dabbling then power to your elbow. I would also do the same thing, however if the car is under warranty then I would perhaps locate the problem, then politely suggest to the service department that the fault might be 'X' and then let them resolve the issue.

Regards,
John

Hi Jimmy,
Finally found a TSB that is about leaking diesel:

P-B-07.02/42a APR06 High Pressure Fuel Pump Leaks in Area of Low Pressure Connections. Replaces fuel feed and return hoses, engine coolant hose, and Poly V-Belt.

If your interested I will try to get a pdf copy.

Regards,
John

Hi John,
I've noticed diesel smells in my E320CDI. Can you provide a pdf for this bulletin?
Cheers,
Paul

I'd be interested to hear what the dealer finds. I have the exact same issue with my E320CDI Estate and will be getting it looked at under warranty during next service.

As soon as I get it I will contact everyone.

Some dealers unfortunately do not keep up todate with all the TSB's, so it might be a good idea to perhaps hint at what you think might be the cause.

Definitely do NOT say it is the cause of the smell, and please remember do not quote the TSB number chapter and verse. Simply say your great uncle has a friend who knows someone....... :) :) that thinks the smell might be caused by 'iffy' pipe work.

Hopefully I will get the pdf tomorrow.

Regards,
John

I have a new set of injector seals, just in case it is something so simple. Hopefully will get time tonight to have a look.

I took the cover off the engine tonight, definetly where the smell is coming from, most noticable when the engine is hot. Took the injectors out, one by one and replaced the cooper seals at the bottom. Four of the six injectors were wet with diesel, I am not convinced though that it is leaking from the bottom, if it were I would expected to see 'soot' in the injector holes and further up the injectors.

I fixed a Citroen HDi recently that had leaky injector seals, the holes were gummed up with a tarry, coal like substance from the diesel that had gotten hot.

Also checked the air filter, pretty sure it must still be the original one as it was pretty dirty. Would have thought it should have been changed by now at 16K miles?

can only see now if the smell perists. Thought I was getting a sore throat from it but pretty sure I have got a man cold on the way, just hope it does not develop into man flu or I am doomed!!

jimmy said:
Also checked the air filter, pretty sure it must still be the original one as it was pretty dirty. Would have thought it should have been changed by now at 16K miles?

Hi Jimmy,
Has your car had it's first service yet?

I now have the pdf about diesel fuel leakage on some 211's. If you want a copy, just pm me your e-mail address.

Bye for now,
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom