Fumes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kerabo

Car
2006 C220 Estate
I have a 2006 C220 CDI. It's just done 140000 miles and runs well and burns no oil.
Every now and again I can smell fumes that seem to be like engine fumes. I am certain it's this as I had the same when my filler cap was not on correctly.
Are there any internal breathers that give problems? And rubber pipes into the intake?

Thanks Ken

Leaking exhaust? Under the bonnet (manifold) or under the car (pipes/joints/cats)?

Otherwise it could be engine oil or fuel leaking onto a hot exhaust pipe and burning-off (again, under the bonnet, or under the car).

A classic fumes smell on that generation of CDI’s, is leaking injector seals, it’s a very strong smell and gets dragged into the car by the heater

If it’s injector seals better get it sorted ASAP to prevent the dreaded ‘black death’

Thank you all for the replies. It's not the injectors leaking thank god. Deff engine fumes from inside the engine. Only does it now and again and only notice it while in slow traffic. A few weeks ago I didn't put the oil filler cap in completely and had the same smell.
I was just wondering how these take care of any engine fumes? Is the any external pipes it strainers that could split or block into air inlet ducting?

Thanks Ken

As Markjay says it could be a residue of the oil that leaked due to the filler cap incident. It can get into all sorts of crannies and may take some time to dissipate completely and stinks on a hot engine surface. You say that it's noticeable in slow traffic? It could be that lack of airflow in this situation lets the smell enter through the ventilation system. Take the plastic cover off when the engine is hot and running and see what your nose tells you.

I have a 2005 C230 with the M272 V6 petrol so a bit different from yours. Mine also developed a burning oil smell when parking up, stationary at lights, reversing, etc. It wasn't using any oil and no sign of any leaks however it transpired that there are some plastic breather plugs on the rear of the camshaft cover housing which were starting to leak. Obviously a really cheap and nasty design but at least they were only a few quid each and easy to replace. It might be worth checking to se if the diesel engine has something similar.

As above, the breather is a likely suspect but keep an eye on those injectors, it could be that the black stuff just hasn’t reached the top yet...

I have a 2005 C230 with the M272 V6 petrol so a bit different from yours. Mine also developed a burning oil smell when parking up, stationary at lights, reversing, etc. It wasn't using any oil and no sign of any leaks however it transpired that there are some plastic breather plugs on the rear of the camshaft cover housing which were starting to leak. Obviously a really cheap and nasty design but at least they were only a few quid each and easy to replace. It might be worth checking to se if the diesel engine has something similar.

Yes this is what I was thinking about.

Thanks

As above, the breather is a likely suspect but keep an eye on those injectors, it could be that the black stuff just hasn’t reached the top yet...
Not the injectors thank God

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom