Fun fact about the OM642 engine!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

niketpatel71

It currently holds the world endurance record. Im pretty sure my CLS has this engine I can rest easy tonight bar the worry of the recent car jackings :bannana:

World record for Mercedes-Benz new V6 turbodiesel OM642 (in E320 CDI)
- 100,000 miles at an average speed of 224.823 km/h / 139.696 mph
- Record distance equal to four times around the world
- Endurance test for the Mercedes E 320 CDI, 30 days of relentless, round-the-clock punishment
- Proof of the performance of the diesel particulate filter

Three E320 CDI using the new OM642 3.0 liter V6 turbodiesel were driven 100,000 miles within 30 days at the 5 mile oval racetrack in Laredo, Texas and set several FIA world endurance records to demonstrate the reliability and efficiency of the new common rail direction injection turbodiesels. The engine oil was changed 10 times, every 15,000 kilometers.

Full report here Mercedes-Benz diesel engines

Last edited:
Did they not mention about inlet port shut off motors? 100,000 miles on a single one is very impressive.

so glad I settled for this engine. Lots of friends were telling me how the bmw in line 6 is better but im happy with my c320... the 330d I drove cannot compare to it.

Yes quite impressive but sadly these are mostly publicity stunts.

OK it can do the high constant speed thing but then so should any properly constructed engine.

It the real world is the constant cycle of cold starts, thermal degradation over a period of years and as for being "Proof of the performance of the diesel particulate filter" that causes me to splutter.

The killer of DPF's is low speed and stop start traffic. High constant rpm, or at least regular episodes thereof, is precisely what they need to operate effectively

The other thing I always wonder about is selective reporting.:devil: How many attempts have there been where it all ended in disaster- and the team quietly packed up and went home. When are we going to hear about the attempts where 2 out of the 3 lost their timing gear at 70 and 85 thousand miles and self destructed or do manufacturers like to hush this up?- surely not :rolleyes: And for the test to have validity should the exercise not continue till an engine fails?:dk: that's a true test to destruction Why the arbitrary figure of 100,000 miles why not 150,000miles-200,000miles?? Or did one engine fail at say 105,000 :fail and the other 2 were fine :thumb: but to put the best spin on the exercise all 3 completing 100,000 was the best message to put out from the exercise?:eek: Or am I just too cynical.;)

i have this engine in my sprinter van which was fine up until 155k,when it has had no end of problems, injector problems,egr valve o2 sensor,crank shft sensor,oil cooler,turbo seals,water pipes,glow plugs, it still has a loud knocking tapping noise when you start it,which only occurred when the injectors where removed,the noise disappears when it warms up,the main dealer says the injectors seals will carbon up and knocking noise will go, its on 165k now still no better,fed up with it

i have this engine in my sprinter van which was fine up until 155k,when it has had no end of problems, injector problems,egr valve o2 sensor,crank shft sensor,oil cooler,turbo seals,water pipes,glow plugs, it still has a loud knocking tapping noise when you start it,which only occurred when the injectors where removed,the noise disappears when it warms up,the main dealer says the injectors seals will carbon up and knocking noise will go, its on 165k now still no better,fed up with it
Have you tried de coking the engine?

Maybe worth doing a Terraclean or chucking in some fuel system cleaner.

hi thanks for comment,can you recommend a cleaner anything is worth a try,ive never heard of terraclean would you mind telling me what it is ? many thanks

Last edited:
hi thanks for comment,can you recommend a cleaner anything is worth a try,ive never heard of terraclean would you mind telling me what it is ? many thanks
Hi

For a fuel treatment I'd suggest BG 244k

My dad has a E220 CDi, which is running fine but I had a can lying about and I thought I'd put it in his car, it's certainly quietened down the idle of the engine and it has a bit more go in it now.

Terraclean is fairly new the UK, it's a comprehensive fuel system cleaner as a system is hooked up directly to the engine with highly concentrated fuel with cleaning additives in it.

Below is their site.

Welcome to TerraClean

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom