Functional cv?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swl

I need to write a cv and have been told that functional instead of chronological cv is the way to go to stand any chance of it being looked at.

I know some of your guys have got new jobs within the last 18 months. Did you do a functional cv?

Thanks.

Mine is chronological.

Opening statement/summary
Education/Training/Qualifications
Employment history
Personal Achievements/hobbies etc

The opening statement is pretty useful as it tells people who you are before they have to read a load of boring stuff about which schools you went to and where you last worked at.

All the way down my CV on the right hand side is a keywords/highlights bit that's there basically so it gets caught by searches used by agencies and for lazy managers who really can't be bothered to read through all the paragraphs and want it summed up in about 2 words ;) .

Within your employment history i do the following:

1; Functional description.
2; Key Achievements whilst performing that function.

It shows you don't just shuffle paper, and more importantly allows people to question you on your job with a specific focus. In this respect the CV becomes interesting and is less likely to end up in the circular file.

Clarky

Similar to Shude mine is also Chronological.

- Opening Statement / Summary
- Employment History / Career Experience
- Qualifications / Training
- Personal Info / Published Works / Hobbies

I've PM'd you with some further info, hope that helps.

*EDIT* My career experience also incorporates the points that Saorbust mentions.

S.

Last edited:
Steve_Perry said:

*EDIT* My career experience also incorporates the points that Saorbust mentions.

S.

Hi Steve,
Please forgive my cheek, but I would be grateful if you could pass on any tips or advice that I might then forward on to my son.

Regards,
John

glojo said:
Hi Steve,
Please forgive my cheek, but I would be grateful if you could pass on any tips or advice that I might then forward on to my son.

Regards,
John
Hi John,

I'm by no means an expert and I don't work in human resources/personel but I am happy to share my thoughts on CV writing for posts in engineering, specifically Chemical Engineering. :) Those thoughts might also fly in the face of others. CV's, like home decor etc, are a really a personal item unique to each individual, apart from some general do's and don'ts there really isn't a right or wrong way to present a CV, that and styles seem to drop in, and out of, favour :rolleyes:

I'll PM you later today ;)

S.

Steve_Perry said:
I'll PM you later today ;)

Thanks very much indeed.

By a slight coincidence, number one son has a degree in chemistry. (Analytical Chemistry)

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated

Regards,
John

Steve_Perry said:

S.

Thanks guys for your helpful comments and Steve for your PM. :bannana: I have altered my cv so that it is a combination of a chronological and functional cv. Hopefully, I will get some results soon. Fingers crossed. :)

swl said:
Thanks guys for your helpful comments and Steve for your PM. :bannana: I have altered my cv so that it is a combination of a chronological and functional cv. Hopefully, I will get some results soon. Fingers crossed. :)
Best of luck!! :) :bannana:

S.

I have a combination of both (similar to Steve and others) in that it's ordered:

- Summary of skills and experience
- Employment History
- Key Achievements whilst performing that function
- Qualifications/Training
- Personal Summary/Character description
- Hobbies

As I work contractually for different firms I'm regularly going for interviews in the 3 months before the end of a contract (NOW!) and find that from a couple of reviews this has evolved to work for me. It's also been mentioned but if you look at the ads for the jobs you're going for and put the 'buzzwords' and language used into the CV then the search bots will find yours better.

Hmm, writing my CV now (just had one of those send me your CV quick calls from a mate :D ) - going for the functional/chronological format and trying to keep to a few pages only approach!

GrahamC230K said:
going for the functional/chronological format and trying to keep to a few pages only approach!
Seriously, 2 pages maximum. Anything more than that and you're in the dustbin with a lot of employers!

is it worth putting in personal things like hobbies? i know i have a few out of work activities that demonstrate my team work and leading skills but i was under the impression employment law didnt allow potential employers to use this in their selection and decision process?

The days of the "old" style CV are counted. I am working since many years on contractual basis and sometimes I change the agency twice a year. All insist on a maximum of ONE page CV.
Look at the Office website on Microsoft and search for Word Template and you will see Resumee which will give you 14 top choices...
The CV is just the "catcher".... you will have to sell yourself during the interview.
It is like a car deal...check the basics with the specs sheet (that is what your CV) and the extras and delivery details are discussed in person.... good luck

classicsl said:
is it worth putting in personal things like hobbies? i know i have a few out of work activities that demonstrate my team work and leading skills but i was under the impression employment law didnt allow potential employers to use this in their selection and decision process?
Anything that might make a potential employer have something in common with you other than work stuff is a bonus. If you're going for contract work then it's less important but for a permanent job they actually have to like and get on with you as well as work with you :) .

I have now spilled over from 2 pages to 3.

However, having seen some of the books some people send as CV's, I have no fear. The tail end on page 3 of my CV is my most distant (still relative though) employment history, so if it get's skipped no fear, by then I have either swung it on the basis of my last 2 years projects or not!!

classicsl said:
but i was under the impression employment law didnt allow potential employers to use this in their selection and decision process?

Playing musical instruments, sports activities, drama societies are all showing potential employers that you have other skills and interests. (unless you are applying for positions for an orchestra, gymnasium, or theatre ;) )

Regards,
John

smartbrabus said:
Change margins from 2.5cm to 1cm, decrease line spacing and font size :D
That's why mine's on just two pages, fractionally smaller typeface, narrower margins etc :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom