Funniest car name?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsorrel

MB Enthusiast
Car
'21 C300 Coupe, '20 SLC Final Edition, Peugeot 208 (hers!) and a new Ford Kuga in Russia
Browsing through my Russian car sites (as you do when there's too much snow to go out)(!) for something new in the summer, when I came upon this...

Honda Life Dunk! Ïðîäàæà Honda Life Dunk 2000 Ìîñêâà

Anyone think of a worse name than that? Just imagine the looks on the forum when you announce your new purchase!! "Hey guys, guess what I just bought...!!!" :D:D

By the way, hope you all had a great christmas! :)

I remember reading that the Mitsubishi Pajero (sold in the UK as Shogun) could not be sold in Spain under this name because Pajero means a little bird in Spanish and is common reference to male member in Spain. Something like Mitsubishi c*** over here. Any Spanish speaking people here to confirm this story?

Honda Life Dunk

Sounds like a good solid Japanese car name to me.

My favourite is the Mazda Bongo Friendee...

Cheers,

Gaz

In Russia we get all the weird and wonderful Japanese home market cars (such as my Nissan Sylphy!!) and the other day I spotted a Honda That's! Yes, really "That's"!

Here's a few Toyotas currently for sale in Russia! http://auto.drom.ru/toyota/

I particularly like the Funcargo and Deliboy! :D

Last edited:
Presumably you have yet to spot a Daihatsu Rugger Field, an Isuzu Light Dump or a Mitusbishi Mini Active Urban Sandal (or MAUS for short).

My favourite is the Isuzu Wizard, which apparently stood for "Wonderous Imaginative Zing Adventurous Romantic Dependable"...

I think the Nissan "Sunny" is just hilarious! Not so much the name, but the name in relation to the car that they made.. was very inappropriate lol!

The Triumph Acclaim wasn't that popular in Germany where it would be the Sieg Heil.

Or the RR Silver Shadow, which I believe was going to be the Silver Mist until they found it meant Silver Manure in German.

I think the Nissan "Sunny" is just hilarious! Not so much the name, but the name in relation to the car that they made.. was very inappropriate lol!

To be fair, it's pretty difficult to think of a type of car for which "Sunny" wouldn't have sounded silly to our ears; I suppose one might say it should have been used on a convertible fun car - but would that have granted the name - or the car - any more kudos?

IIRC, it was chosen as a diminutive of "Datsun", for use on their staple model. In its favour, it does have a certain alliterative quality going for it, and of course it nods to Japan being the land of the rising sun.

Some more extreme examples from the Land of the Rising Sun:
  • Honda Vamos Hobio Travel Dog
  • Nissan Big Thumb
  • Step-thru Pantry Boy Supreme (which is either a Daihatsu, Nissan, Toyota or Nissan, depending on which blog you read)
  • Suzuki Alto Afternoon Tea
  • Suzuki Every Joy Pop Turbo

I remember reading that the Mitsubishi Pajero (sold in the UK as Shogun) could not be sold in Spain under this name because Pajero means a little bird in Spanish and is common reference to male member in Spain. Something like Mitsubishi c*** over here. Any Spanish speaking people here to confirm this story?

The version I heard was that it was slang for onanist in some South American countries...

Similarly, Hyundai avoided using "Getz" in Hungary, where it is slang for sperm, and Toyota famously found that MR2 sounded like number twos to the French.

People don't always seem to pay such careful attention to how names will sound on cars sold in the UK, though; how else do you explain the Citroën Sex Turd?

I have a couple of neighbours, (upon whom nature has played a cruel trick), and they have assured me that 'Step-thru Pantry Boy Supreme' is an extra on their club Christmas Menu!

Cheers,

Paul

Ssang Yong Rodius :crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom