Funny call from the dealer yesterday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
Got the SL booked in for a service on Monday. It's been going to the same main dealer for over 10 years now ... they give me 45% off labour plus 15% off parts, are still happy for me to provide my own Mobil 1 from Costco, and never push to do extra work (in fact they told me to stop having it serviced every 12 months because of the low mileage!). They always seem genuinely interested in the car too.

Anyway the phone call went like this.

"Good afternoon Mr X, it's Mercedes-Benz xxxx here"

"Hi there"

"You have your 1997 SL500 booked in for service on Monday"

"Yes?"

"Hope you don't mind us asking, but we were just wondering if you might consider selling it?"

:eek: :D

I explained I was planning to hang on to it for a while yet - nice to be asked though! :)

Desirable car... look lovely when I saw it at MB World a few weeks back :)

I was a bit surprised because it's 'just' an SL500, I'm sure if you have a nice rare AMG or similar this sort of thing must happen more often!

and if the answer was... "Yes, i may"... they would of said we can offer you a good discount on a new car and book price as part ex :eek:

Good to be asked though!

VW sometimes has "older" cars as approved used ones... just looking now and they have some 9 year all ones!

Last edited:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but they were trying to sell you a car, not so much buy yours...

I was a bit surprised because it's 'just' an SL500

I'm not surprised in the least.

To me, the SL500 name (and car) is synonymous with the brand and the model and has high emotive meaning. When we were looking at buying an SL, it was the 500 we looked at first despite there being faster and so-called better variants. Most associate AMG with performance but not everyone wants that. Many want just a beautiful, smooth (and cool) grand tourer which is the 'original' SL500…just the right blend of power and show, if that makes sense.
The SL500 has also been around in people's consciousness a lot longer than AMG I would say, certainly it has in mine.

I'm not surprised in the least.

To me, the SL500 name (and car) is synonymous with the brand and the model and has high emotive meaning. When we were looking at buying an SL, it was the 500 we looked at first despite there being faster and so-called better variants. Most associate AMG with performance but not everyone wants that. Many want just a beautiful, smooth (and cool) grand tourer which is the 'original' SL500…just the right blend of power and show, if that makes sense.
The SL500 has also been around in people's consciousness a lot longer than AMG I would say, certainly it has in mine.

Well said, sums it up nicely, I love them, I love my SLK to tho :)

and if the answer was... "Yes, i may"... they would of said we can offer you a good discount on a new car and book price as part ex :eek:

Good to be asked though!

VW sometimes has "older" cars as approved used ones... just looking now and they have some 9 year all ones!

No I asked, someone in the dept. wanted to buy it outright.

M-B did have a 'classics' sales centre a few years back selling old models, not sure if that's still going or not?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but they were trying to sell you a car, not so much buy yours...

Exactly.

If they had phoned "are you looking for a new car" you'd have immediately said "no".

Perhaps there was a genuine wish to buy your car - but there would still be the expectation to sell you one as well.

The approach they used got your attention… and you'd be surprised how often it works… even if there is nobody who really wants to buy yours...

This was the service dept. though, not sales, and as mentioned it was a cash purchase being offered. They don't have any used SLs for sale at all and as mine is 18 years old I doubt they'd think I was a likely prospect for a new one!

your SL has a stalker in the service dept :)

This was the service dept. though, not sales, and as mentioned it was a cash purchase being offered. They don't have any used SLs for sale at all and as mine is 18 years old I doubt they'd think I was a likely prospect for a new one![/QUOTE

All cars main dealers take in as part ex's go straight to BCA auction. Most pictures which the auction place have of the cars are at the main dealership. Only few few selected vehicles are kept to sell in their garage, these are normally cars which they have leased to companies and people and are given back after 1-5 years.
Your car would of gone straight to BCA, been sold within a week. We always get classic cars going for auction, not much of a surprise really since the dealership make a big killing. Killing 2 birds with 1 stone.

I used to have an E28 BMW 5 series which was 15 years old when I sold it. It went to a mechanic in the local dealer workshop who had looked after it. He asked at the right time and a deal was done.

Are you sure they weren't trying to soften the blow of the bill for your Vito repair by part exchanging your SL?

Are you sure they weren't trying to soften the blow of the bill for your Vito repair by part exchanging your SL?

LOL when the phone rang I did assume it was going to be about the Vito, but it's a different dealership so no link! :D

I used to have an E28 BMW 5 series which was 15 years old when I sold it. It went to a mechanic in the local dealer workshop who had looked after it. He asked at the right time and a deal was done.

Yup I think that's the scenario here. It must be a perk of the job I guess ... you get to have a detailed look at every 'older' car that comes through, so you'd know exactly what you were getting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom