Funny noise on acceleration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rayaans

Car
C200
So behold, my car is now at 35k miles and has started making a funny noise under acceleration. Its a 2015 W205 C200 2.0L if anyone can put light on the issue.

Essentially just started randomly 2 days ago and only happens when accelerating. Its almost like a ticking noise, or like a little kid blowing a raspberry from the engine bay.

It does sound a bit more tappety on idle more than it used to and the ticking noise can be heard from the engine bay as well.

It drives absolutely fine, full power and no issues on the motorway or at cruise either. If it wasnt for the noise, I wouldnt think it even had a problem!

Any ideas?

Have you checked the oil level?
Could be the injectors ticking, maybe run some redex diesel system cleaner through also?

Have you checked the oil level?
Could be the injectors ticking, maybe run some redex diesel system cleaner through also?

It's a petrol and I regularly run redex through anyway.

All fluid levels are fine. No leaks either and the car drives well too.

So its going in tomorrow to be checked.

Having done some research its either the Steering gaiter and boot or a wrist pin issue. I dont know, hopefully it doesnt just get shirked off by MB claiming "its normal sir" as it certainly is not!

If steering column related, you might notice a change in the noise when moving the steering wheel which may assist in diagnosing?

If steering column related, you might notice a change in the noise when moving the steering wheel which may assist in diagnosing?

So it went in today. They've confirmed excessive engine noise in the cabin and suggest it's a grommet / rubber boot around the steering shaft.

It was supposedly not covered under warranty but they can't get hold of the rubber boot on its own, it comes as part of the steering gaiter which is covered so it's actually being done under warranty so happy days

Hopefully cures it but it'll take a month to get the part

Just to update in case anyone gets the same issue.

The steering gaiter was replaced and the issue has gone away completely. No more weird noises on acceleration. Seems that they were right in that it had degraded and was letting excess engine noise into the cabin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom