Funny Thing This Property Game

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
Him:
I'm ringing about the flat.

Me:
Sorry, it's gone.

Him:
But I need somewhere urgently.

Alarm bells ring.

Me:
Why's that, if you don't mind me asking?

Him:
I'm being evicted in 3 weeks

Me:
Ok, can I ask why?

Him:
Rent arrears.

Me:
But I wouldn't take you with rent arrears, and I'd be asking for a previous landlord reference.

Him:
But I need somewhere - what am I supposed to do?

Me:
Presumably, if you cleared the rent arrears, you'd be able to stay where you are?

Him:
Yes, it's the only reason for my eviction.

Me:
Ok, clear the arrears and you're sorted.

Him:
But I owe them loads of money - so have you got anywhere else?

:crazy::doh:.

Last edited:
This is so True, I have been in the property game for many years, ok not in this country but the stories I could tell.

continues......

ME. and anyway, unlike your current landlord, I don't deal in FREE property.
Mine has to be paid for.

I have a cardboard box I can give you - but anything else has to be paid for.

The clue is in the name. Rental property.

We appear to be living in the age of entitlement don't we....

Takes all sorts. Nothing in property surprises me.

Although I was disgusted with one landlord last week. Lady selling a terraced house, discovered that a portion of her house above a passageway was mistakenly deeded to the next door property.

That nice chap, to correct the deed (remembering that his deed's are also incorrect) demanded £5K. Only other option would have taken months and lady did not want to lose the chain.

I actually feel quite sorry for the tenant in the initial posting.

He has a basic human need to house himself, but lacks the social intelligence to realise that it's neither a prospective landlord's problem to solve nor desire to house a likely defaulter.

This puts him at a huge disadvantage in life and possibly makes him a vulnerable person.

Obviously I'm not suggesting that John should personally take him in, but I do think it's a sad situation that we as a society are all partially responsible for.

I wish I had the answers.

watching "How to get a council house" last night.....

these people think they deserve to be housed and expect that. No change in the "system" can fix it.

social attitude needs to change. They need to realise that THEY are responsible for their OWN PROBLEMS. its the only way.

I actually feel quite sorry for the tenant in the initial posting.

He has a basic human need to house himself, but lacks the social intelligence to realise that it's neither a prospective landlord's problem to solve nor desire to house a likely defaulter.

This puts him at a huge disadvantage in life and possibly makes him a vulnerable person.

Obviously I'm not suggesting that John should personally take him in, but I do think it's a sad situation that we as a society are all partially responsible for.

I wish I had the answers.

Had a similar situation. Nice chap, been off work for ever. All sorted etc. DSS pays rent - he ignores his fortunately small topup.

Get's a job, which must have paid more, but does not know how to handle bills. Ended up with an eviction. He'd lost his job by then as well.

In the rental market, you need to make a decision, sometimes based upon little/patchy information.

If you get it wrong, then you're looking at a around six months non payment (two months notice, and at least two months to get it successfully through the courts, plus what ever length of non-payment period led you to go down the eviction route in the first place - most likely a previous couple of months of default/excuses before you actually realise you're going to have to evict).

I've rented, and continue to rent to vulnerable people, when appropriate, and have occasionally been burnt in the process, during my 20 years in the private rented sector.

However, I would be foolish to rent to a person significantly in rent arrears, elsewhere, at the start of a tenancy, despite his honesty/stupidity (depending on your viewpoint).

It has to be a business decision, first and foremost.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom