Fuses and dash cam

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BarryWhitt

Car
C-Class 200 Sport Premium
Car is a 2017 C Class 200 Sport Premium

I need to know where the fuse is for the power point in the front consul compartment. The ciggie lighter type one.

Halfords put the live to a fuse in the fuse box in the boot but the dash cam only comes on when the engine is started, which is no good for when parked and if car gets jolted the camera won't start recording.

Thanks if you know which fuse it is and where it is.

Are you sure you want the battery drain associated with keeping a dashcam powered 24/7 ?

I thought most dash cams have some form of battery to power them up with movement sensors, definitely wouldn't want one permanently powered, but having said that my dash cam battery is dead!! :fail

Just spoken to Nextbase and they said it's fine as it is if I leave the unit in Parking Mode.
Cam runs when I start up and drive off.
When I park and choose to leave cam in situ the cam will close down but will record for 30 seconds using the built in battery that's always being charged when driving, it will start recording if any slight movement to the car.
I have just tested this and it started recording from ''OFF Standby'' when I open the door. :D

That will do me.

Thanks again guys.

and what is the standby current when its in parking mode? add that to your residual drain. A windy day could create havoc with your battery.

Just had a read of the Nextbase instructions, seems you have to go into the system menu every time you park up and reset it back to parking mode, and then take it off when you drive.

Also, what do you hope to capture in parking mode, as this will only show you 30 seconds after a ding and front view only, get hit from the rear or side and it will not be captured.

6. Parking Mode
When Parking Mode has been turned ON, the iN-CAR CAM remains in standby mode, when
the 12Vdc supply has been turned OFF (typically removing your ignition key). Should physical
movement of the vehicle be detected the iN-CAR CAM will power on and start recording a 30
second video and then return to standby mode.
The recorded file will automatically be protected.
Options: On and Off
Default Setting: Off

Note:
- Remember to turn off Parking Mode from within the Setup Menu during normal driving use,
to turn off Parking Mode stop the recording and then change setting to Off

Last edited:
and what is the standby current when its in parking mode? add that to your residual drain. A windy day could create havoc with your battery.

Just had a read of the Nextbase instructions, seems you have to go into the system menu every time you park up and reset it back to parking mode, and then take it off when you drive.

Also, what do you hope to capture in parking mode, as this will only show you 30 seconds after a ding and front view only, get hit from the rear or side and it will not be captured.

6. Parking Mode
When Parking Mode has been turned ON, the iN-CAR CAM remains in standby mode, when
the 12Vdc supply has been turned OFF (typically removing your ignition key). Should physical
movement of the vehicle be detected the iN-CAR CAM will power on and start recording a 30
second video and then return to standby mode.
The recorded file will automatically be protected.
Options: On and Off
Default Setting: Off

Note:
- Remember to turn off Parking Mode from within the Setup Menu during normal driving use,
to turn off Parking Mode stop the recording and then change setting to Off

Firstly the cam is not wired to a live fuse any recordings for 30secs will be from the dash cams built in battery.

My first post is now irrelevant since I spoke to Nexbase tech guys. :D

Before I went out yesterday I manually put it in ''Parking Mode'' I then went and spent a few hours out and stopped a few times before coming home.

Every single moment of driving was recorded, when I first parked I waited for 3 minutes and the camera stopped recording as I looked through the window. As soon as I opened the door it started recording again, so their (Nextbase) spiel (quoted above in blue font) is misleading.

I agree it will only record to where it is pointed but that can be resolved by sliding it off it's easy release magnetic mount and placed anywhere in the car using it's own built in battery the wide angle lens would cover a hell of a lot if placed in the corner of the rear parcel shelf with a 140° viewing angle if disturbed.

Not saying I am going to do that but I'm happy with the set up I have now as said in my last post. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom