Future classics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matt32AMG

Car
June 2002 SLK32///AMG. OCT 2007 CLK350 AMG Sport Convertible.
So just out of interest what do people see as being the future classics in the MB range from the last ten years.

I'll start the ball rolling with my SLK32AMG.
Why you may ask? Because I happen to have one :D and I've had it from new.
It's comparatively rare, being one of only limited numbers in the UK , 275-300 ish, and it always puts a smile on my face.

It may not be the greatest handling car on the planet, but then that’s what makes it a fun car to drive IMHO.

Oh, and it's hand built, whatever hand built means at AMG ;)

Last edited:
And you can watch tailgaters fade into the distance in your rear view mirror in the "Hairdressers car" :)

09022008225.jpg

Well said that man, that's accounted for two of the 275 exmples in the UK, (No bias there then).

Last edited:
How about a CLS55??

Not sure about classic status on these cars as nice as they are, they are simly not the same as Classics if you know what I mean.

Now a G wagen thats a Classic... :) GL55

Been around already for years.

W208 CLK CABRIO without a doubt.

How about a CLS55??

Not sure about classic status on these cars as nice as they are, they are simly not the same as Classics if you know what I mean.

Now a G wagen thats a Classic... :) GL55

Been around already for years.

Yeah understand what you say, but then we are suggesting or nominating future classics... But hey whatever ;)

I personally dont think slk's will make classics as i thought they should handle alot better for their size...

I could see the C63 making a future classic though... its a real M3-smasher in almost every aspect. Even when top gear put it on the track and it lost to the M3 by like 2 secs... i'd like to see the difference between the saloon M3 and the c63 on a track...

C36 AMG.

One of the key milestones in the history of AMG came in 1990, with the signing of the cooperation agreement with Daimler-Benz AG. Under the terms of the deal, AMG products could now be sold at Mercedes-Benz sales and service outlets and dealers, significantly improving customer acceptance. Further expansion led in 1990 to the opening of “Werk III”, the third factory, and an increase in the workforce to 400 employees. In 1993 the company unveiled the first co-developed vehicle to be born out of the cooperation agreement: the Mercedes-Benz C 36 AMG. By this time AMG had become sufficiently well known to be recognised as a trademark by the Patent office.

http://www.amg-car-club.co.uk/info/history.htm

I personally dont think slk's will make classics as i thought they should handle alot better for their size...

I could see the C63 making a future classic though... its a real M3-smasher in almost every aspect. Even when top gear put it on the track and it lost to the M3 by like 2 secs... i'd like to see the difference between the saloon M3 and the c63 on a track...

Again hear what you say regaring Handling, but then the original 911 didn't and as for the original 911 Turbo, well that was just leathal, as was/is the AC Cobra. (I've been lucky enough to have owned and driven both in my time). But it raises an interesting question, what is it that makes a classic car?

SL55 AMG will be a classic - its virtually one now.

SL55 AMG will be a classic - its virtually one now.

Agreed,
but with a caveat, that there are rather a lot of them, which would tend to count against it if the typical criteria for what makes a classic car stand to up to any kind of scrutiny.

Are we saying it will have the same attraction as say owning an AMDB4 5 or 6. which are rare and command accordingly high premiums :confused:

but with a caveat, that there are rather a lot of them, which would tend to count against it

Thats because they have only been out of production for 6months!

10 years time will be a different story altogether!

One thing that strikes me with some of the more modern MBs (including some of the AMG models), is the shere volume of these that we've seen over the last ten years. There have been some great cars for sure, but the rarity, uniqueness, brand etc isn't quite the same.

I hate to say it as I'm a big fan of almost all MBs regardless of model/age etc but the 'Daimler Chrysler' years won't have the same rose-tinted appeal to them that the 'good ol' days' models have enjoyed. I just couldn't hold the same level of respect towards a rusty W210 AMG or something as you would something like a classic hammer or E500/500E, and earlier something like the 6.3s and 6.9s of the past.

Looking at values of these above mentioned cars, I'm sure I must be correct - I don't think perfectly good E500/500Es or W124 hammers ever routinely changed hands for £4-6K, even at twice the age of an E55 (often with twice the mileage!), E500s seem to fetching about double?

Just me thinking aloud I guess :eek:

Will

One thing that strikes me with some of the more modern MBs (including some of the AMG models), is the shere volume of these that we've seen over the last ten years. There have been some great cars for sure, but the rarity, uniqueness, brand etc isn't quite the same.

I hate to say it as I'm a big fan of almost all MBs regardless of model/age etc but the 'Daimler Chrysler' years won't have the same rose-tinted appeal to them that the 'good ol' days' models have enjoyed. I just couldn't hold the same level of respect towards a rusty W210 AMG or something as you would something like a classic hammer or E500/500E, and earlier something like the 6.3s and 6.9s of the past.

Looking at values of these above mentioned cars, I'm sure I must be correct - I don't think perfectly good E500/500Es or W124 hammers ever routinely changed hands for £4-6K, even at twice the age of an E55 (often with twice the mileage!), E500s seem to fetching about double?

Just me thinking aloud I guess :eek:

Will

Valid points...There are no right or wrong answers, its just opinions ;)

I'm actually quite shocked that no1 has considered the W140.. (S Class from 91 - 99).
Yes, the box shape does not compare to the styling of some of todays car.
But in 1991 there was a car which could still compare to cars coming off the production line now.
As far as i'm concerned that car was well ahead of it's time.

I'm actually quite shocked that no1 has considered the W140.. (S Class from 91 - 99).
Yes, the box shape does not compare to the styling of some of todays car.
But in 1991 there was a car which could still compare to cars coming off the production line now.
As far as i'm concerned that car was well ahead of it's time.

No different than any S-Class though was it?

All have been way ahead of their time, thats the point of them. Look at the current S-Class, by 2020 even a Fiesta will have Nightvision.

I think a classic is defined by its appeal at the time of its release, and then its persistence to impress through its years of production. Example, 190E Cosworth. Damn fast for its time, handled really well, and looked good too! (even up til now!) the only thing i hate about it is that its a 4 cyl engine. (straight six would've sounded HOT).

C36... yes i agree with that too... its a real bruiser, and it handled better than the C43 (or so i've heard) due to its lighter front.

SLK32... i knw what ur saying about the original 911 etc... but when the original 911 came out it had a real "wow" factor about it... the SLK32 wasn't really a headline in motor journalism... but thats just what i think

I loved the 32 AMG engine... i've been driven in a c32 countless times and its damn lively! Really is one of my favourite AMG engines after the 55K and the c36 engine.

Last edited:
No different than any S-Class though was it?

All have been way ahead of their time, thats the point of them. Look at the current S-Class, by 2020 even a Fiesta will have Nightvision.

i dont agree with "what an s class has now, everyday car will have in 10 years". Just because JC says it doesnt make it true ;)

how many fiestas, vauxhalls etc have soft closure doors?

how many have double glazing?

"Classic" has little to do with low build numbers or high cost/exciting features.

Plenty of bog-standard family saloons are considered classic cars nowadays, not just the Lotus Cortinas etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom