Future Classics?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tpwuk

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 BlueTEC W212
Which models do you think from the last 15 years will obtain "classic" status and actually increase in value?

Certainly the C36/C43 will eventually I think. SLR, SLS. I also think the CLK might have a good chance.

EDIT, didn't notice the increase in value part! Not sure if the SLR or SLS will increase...

Last edited:
An unmolested 124 coupe or cabrio already has reached classic status.

Kept in top condition, they are no longer losing value but whether any Mercedes will increase in value over its original price is unlikely.

off the top of my head...

CLS
W208 CLK
C32
SLK 32 AMG

i dont think these will increase in value, but wont bottom-out like other models and remain desirable, keeping something that may otherwise be worth a few grand at most to the very nice examples reaching 3 or 4 times that value of a "banger".

The exclusive V8s (CL, SL) maybe. And the silly tuning house specials and SLR, SLS.

Some versions of 124 and 201 are already there - although restoration costs vs. market value are currently not..

Other than that, simply too many about and more Practical Classic than Classic. ;)

Ade
(slightly regretting letting the coupe go...)

None, you will all be walking to electric powered buses and trains to get to your destinations. you should invest in green / bicycle technologies instead

:D

SLK 32 AMG
C32 AMG (although nothing like as rare as the SLK 32)
C43 AMG
W124 Cabriolet
SLS

With the exception of the SLS the aforementioned cars have pretty well all bottomed out in terms of values, and a well kept example will start to increase in value. Obviously the rarer the better ;)

As much as I like cars such as the C32, I can't personally see the hallmarks in it as a future classic just yet :eek:

Very quick saloon cars they might be, but what makes people think that they'll be guaranteed classic appeal in years to come?

R129 SL would be a good bet, as they've now bottomed out price-wise. Very well built and durable cars, pretty good corrosion wise, classic MB 80s build quality and obvious 2+2 cabriolet appeal. A £5-10k R129 surely will appreciate one day if kept in good order and original?

Nice late 124 coupes and cabriolets are also a good bet although the good ones are already making strong money at the moment.

Cars like my CLK55 and C43s are excellent value for money at the moment - in the case of the CLK55 there's plenty out there for £5-10k these days for what were £60k+ top of the range cars 8 or so years back. I'm not suggesting they'll make money any time soon but I do feel that they've reached the bottom if the depreciation curve now :)

190E 2.3/2.5-16s, 500E/E500 W124s etc would also be a good bet but likewise the 124 cabs/coupes they're already fetching good money and have been for a few years, plus slightly more than 15 years old now ;)

All IMHO :)

Will

Last edited:
A-Class is the only Mercedes to stand a chance of being regarded as a classic. As it broke new ground, whereas every other Mercedes either follows established Mercedes thinking or the thinking of others.

All the others put forward may be desirable (to those who cannot currently afford them) but that will not create classic status.

All the others put forward may be desirable (to those who cannot currently afford them) but that will not create classic status.

I find something being desirable but un-affordable is normally the defining feature that makes a classic. How many times have you seen someone looking for a classic car and say "I always wanted one of those when I was younger, but couldn't afford it / insure it / etc"...

Last edited:
I agree with Will, the R129 is surely the one to watch, also any proper AMG car if low miles and looked after.:)

Looks like its curtains for the A-class then if going by the Classic Car Club of America., way too many made and it wasn't exclusive or expensive enough, (relatively speaking)

However, I might be in with a shout with my SLK32AMG, as I got one of the UK 250, so it's rare. It's very different from the stock R170, the engine was hand built V6 SC unit, tuned transmission and suspension, and it was for a short while at least, the fastest ever production Mercedes. ;)

haha, that definition has for the UK: "There is no fixed definition of a classic car."

Damn you Wikipedia, damn you!

As opposed to collectible?

It has to have had some novelty in its day. Or offered a virtue or blend of virtues unable elsewhere at the time, and possibly, though not necessarily, since.
eg Triumph Stag - affordable V8
Lotus Elan - unrivaled handling
Issagonis Mini - ground breaking packaging
Citroens, suspension technology and front wheel drive pioneers.
Lancias (early) advanced engines.

Sometimes a group of vehicles can qualify if sufficiently distinct from the mainstream at the time, eg Group B rally cars.

Ultimately it is subjective, but objectively, there should be aspects of the car in question that were pioneering to allow it classic status.
Well, that's how I see it!

Almost forgot - Beauty. No examples required, we all know what does and and doesn't qualify here.

Last edited:
Looks like its curtains for the A-class then if going by the Classic Car Club of America., way too many made and it wasn't exclusive or expensive enough, (

On that basis the original Mini, the 2CV, the original Fiat 500, etc wouldn't qualify either. But as this is also a matter of taste, the Yanks are the last I'd be taking advice from...

Typically though, narrow band criteria are selected to exclude cars people don't want on the list but yet include their own favourites, but offering up your own car on the basis of a few numbers, doesn't cut it.

I hear Azurite blue C43 AMGs are in high demand :D

Surprised nobody's mentioned it yet, anything with 73 engine is guaranteed classic status...

I wonder how many CLK 430 Convertibles were sold in the UK? Do you think the 208 V8 Cabs are at the bottom of their depreciation now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom