Future Classics?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was also astonished to learn that they'll hit 193mph de-restricted (according to Wikipedia). Not bad at all for a 3.2-litre engine.

I like the enthusiasm :D, however 193mph is possibly stretching even the 32s credentials in standard trim , though if you change the final drive gearing who knows what the potential is? That said I think 180mph Is very definitely on the cards in derestricted form. Which is not exactly what one would describe as sluggish. :thumb:

Serious respect. Personally, I would crap myself travelling at that speed!

Unable to easily find "good" data on the SLK32, but using base data for the SLK230 with a drag coefficient of 0.34, then the SLK32 would need 351BHP at the wheels to reach a theoretical top speed of 193mph. With 15% transmission losses, then that would be around 413BHP at the flywheel.

Officially the SLK32 has 349BHP at the flywheel which would be good for 181mph with 15% transmission losses. It's often said that production 32 engines are healthier than the official figures would suggest, but 60BHP would need a very, very, very healthy engine!!

The reallity is that the drag coefficient might be slightly higher, and the frontal area might be slightly higher on the SLK32 than it is for the SLK230, so would require a touch more power than suggested above to reach 193mph.

Serious respect. Personally, I would crap myself travelling at that speed!

You would require a set of enviably large Cohunes do do that sort of speed in that car, though that said, it is very stable at the recommended restricted max + :D

Unable to easily find "good" data on the SLK32, but using base data for the SLK230 with a drag coefficient of 0.34, then the SLK32 would need 351BHP at the wheels to reach a theoretical top speed of 193mph. With 15% transmission losses, then that would be around 413BHP at the flywheel.

Officially the SLK32 has 349BHP at the flywheel which would be good for 181mph with 15% transmission losses. It's often said that production 32 engines are healthier than the official figures would suggest, but 60BHP would need a very, very, very healthy engine!!

The reallity is that the drag coefficient might be slightly higher, and the frontal area might be slightly higher on the SLK32 than it is for the SLK230, so would require a touch more power than suggested above to reach 193mph.

400 BHP is easily achieved with this engine Bobby, with the tweaks I've done I've got 375 BHP ish already, an ECU remap it's job done.:)

Officially the SLK32 has 349BHP at the flywheel which would be good for 181mph with 15% transmission losses.

Not sure the figure of 349 is correct in terms of BHP for the stock SLK32AMG. Accordng to my owners hand book (Technical Data Section) which was determined in accordance with the relevant EU Directories It develops 354 BHP at the flywheel in stock trim. ;)

Hey, that 6 BHP makes all the difference :):D

My point exactly. All you can do is crunch numbers about it with a select number of enthusiasts. No one but you guys would notice it in the street, but your grandmothers would want to know about the Stag if one came by.

Not sure the figure of 349 is correct in terms of BHP for the stock SLK32AMG. Accordng to my owners hand book (Technical Data Section) which was determined in accordance with the relevant EU Directories It develops 354 BHP at the flywheel in stock trim. ;)

Hey, that 6 BHP makes all the difference :):D

Are you sure this isn't just down to conversion factors? 349HP (or bhp) = 354PS. ;)

Sorry old chap It's a re-bodied Fiesta. :crazy:

Having had the misfortune of driving one it felt like it had the integrity of a chocolate fireguard. Closing the door I half expected the entire thing to fold down flat pack like… Horrible.

I refused to get one for my step daughter, I got her a VW polo instead. You ever seen one after its rear ended a lorry? It’s not pretty and the occupants don’t stand a chance of surviving with that sloping bonnet. Local girl got killed a few months back having done just that.

No sorry it's a lemon :doh:

Like a VW Polo is something other than a sh!t boring econobox that is as ugly as sin itself.
No the Ka doesn't have the build quality of a Mercedes but it steers. Which is a sight more than can be said for the A-Class.
Not sold as the safest car either, so can't be criticised for false claims.

It formed the basis for the improved Fiestas that followed, not cloned from the rubbish Fiesta of the time.
And it was the first to feature what was to become Ford design language, and as such was original and sharp.

Sharp to look at, sharp to drive, mechanically (and electronically) simple and reliable, instantly recognisable in the street, and utterly (socially speaking) classless.

That's why the public will recognise it as a classic while a handful swap stats about some Mercedes coupe or other because it has an AMG badge.
Outside this forum, who knows what AMG is? Let alone care.

Well, this is the most I have ever seen someone defend a Ford Ka for!

Can't say I'd ever want one if they gained classic status :D

I agree with Will, the R129 is surely the one to watch, also any proper AMG car if low miles and looked after.:)

I too agree with Will. :thumb:

Mine still needs some TLC (but its getting there). If an R129 is kept genuine and comes with its panoramic roof and stand, I'm sure it'll command some status ;)

I didn't buy mine on this basis, but it would be nice to think there maybe some return (or break even) on my purchase.

Certain Mercs like the R107 can be pricey if well looked after, but there are dogs out there too.

I think the W210 E55 AMG will become a classic in the near future just like the E34 BMW M5.

My point exactly. All you can do is crunch numbers about it with a select number of enthusiasts. No one but you guys would notice it in the street, but your grandmothers would want to know about the Stag if one came by.

So your grandmother would know the difference between an MGA, an Austin Healey 100 or 3000, or an AC ACE and 289 AC Cobra? Is it reasonable to ask her to conjecture about the current range of vehicles, which unless she is a devout petrol head, is unlikely, what experience does she have? :)

That said, every car I just mentioned is a classic in its own right. Ok I accept they are performance sports cars of a period, but that is my interest. However, some cars of same general body style are rarer than others, for example the BT7 Triple carburettor MkII Healey was much rarer than a BT7 in the Healey world. A BN7 triple cab model even rarer, as was the works lightweight Healey’s with the alloy engines, or the Healey 100M over the standard Healey 100. Or in the case of the AC Ace that became after inserting V8 lump a rare 289 Cobra, or even rarer 427 Cobra or even rarer 427SC in the AC World. It’s a fundamental in what makes it that much more desirable. :)

The same can be said in the case of the R170. A remarkable ground breaking design in 1996 that sold by the bucket load, with its Vario roof, and is common place. However the converse can be said of the AMG derivative, as it isn’t the same car on so many levels, as already outlined in a previous post. It is what it is that sets it apart, it was seen and presented as the top of the range last word in the R170 production run. ;)

Last edited:
Now that we have found the CL55 we where looking for and as we will be keeping it for the duration maybe my Grandson in 20 years time will appreciate it in more ways than on.

It will be interesting to see whether it becomes a sort over marque, i hope so as it is one of the best looking coupe's Mercedes have made.

Some of the future classics i believe will emerge from recent times will include the following:

1. the VW Lupo.

2. the modern facelifted G wagons (upto 2008, as the recent facelift have pushed it to look a little trashy with the led dotted light etc)

3. The original SLK - like my blacky blue one

4. I think some of the TVR's will start to appreciate

5. the w124 cabrio ofcourse

6. defo the CLS.. 100%

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom