Future of diesel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kvz2000

Car
Mercedes W124 300e. Mercedes SL500
Hi All,
We currently have a 2008 C200 sport with 80k miles , there are no issues with the car and we both like it very much but now with 3 grandsons and all the stuff they need when coming to stay we think it's time for an estate .
We feel that the way things are going we should definitely be buying petrol , we won't be buying new probably something about 3 years old but there doesn't seem to be a great choice.
Are we right in moving away from diesel ? And any recommendations on what model , our C200 has the AMG styling , leather etc so want to keep those luxuries. Budget wise we haven't made a decision yet , no finance on our car and it's probably worth about £5-6k and would put in the same again .

I would get a petrol car next if it was my decision. diesel is likely to be heavily taxed in future. What we need are more petrol models though as what we have at the moment from Mercedes is poor IMO.

The tax band on the car that you purchase is unlikely to change, as this only affects cars which are registered after the change has taken place.

The diesel cars carry much more value for money in terms of power to economy ratio, for me it will remain as a no brainier choice of diesel, unless better options become available.

Unless you live in central London, I don't think that a diesel car will be affected within the near future.

I have a Merc ML 270 cdti and i have the same issues re diesel. I have spent a small fortune on it with upgrades,repairs etc to keep it in prime condition and both i and my wife just love it but as pensioners we are scared stiff that diesel engine cars and the cost of diesel are going to get hammered and the value of such cars will plummet leaving us with a fabulous pile of unwanted loveliness that we can no longer afford to run or sell. We wait with baited breath.

Unless you live in central London, I don't think that a diesel car will be affected within the near future.

^^ This, London in the near-ish future will be affected, possible other major cities (Brum, Manchester, Glasgow etc) in the longer term future.

I think this is a bit of a scare story personally.Older / current diesels will be fine for 10-15 years yet (with the exception of the London congestion Charge).

With new tax laws just coming in, even future ones will be ok for a while.

Wasn't it just under 5-10 years ago that we have had the same concern for petrol engines?

It's a constant cycle, who's to say that the government focus and agenda is not going to change within the next 5-10 years again.

What about extra duty on diesel fuel, and increases in permit parking charges for diesel cars.

What about extra duty on diesel fuel, and increases in permit parking charges for diesel cars.

Just my opinion, but I think the government would think twice about large increases in Diesel fuel duty due to the number of diesels on Britains roads. Like i say, I think the penalties will only come in the larger cities with congestion charges and such.

I have a Merc ML 270 cdti and i have the same issues re diesel. I have spent a small fortune on it with upgrades,repairs etc to keep it in prime condition and both i and my wife just love it but as pensioners we are scared stiff that diesel engine cars and the cost of diesel are going to get hammered and the value of such cars will plummet leaving us with a fabulous pile of unwanted loveliness that we can no longer afford to run or sell. We wait with baited breath.

Do you really have a problem? I would have thought you are actually in a good position. A car that is likely just about completely depreciated so your capital risk is minimal. Your problem is the cost of unscheduled maintenance which is potentially high - but is it any higher than the depreciation on any new or nearly-new car. And that risk doesn't change much because of the sentiment against diesel.

So is it not a case that you can sort of sit pretty for now.

Just my opinion, but I think the government would think twice about large increases in Diesel fuel duty due to the number of diesels on Britains roads. Like i say, I think the penalties will only come in the larger cities with congestion charges and such.

Duty causes a problem because businesses can't claim it back - which is why we have 'red diesel' - so if they bump duty it bumps hauliers' and other transport costs.

An alternative 'solution' would be a higher VAT rate on diesel but that's messy as it's not just the retailers that would have to account for it - but any business that bought diesel would have to account for diesel separately.

Higher VED is another way of dealing with it - but that doesn't necessarily discourage use as it's a fixed cost - just ownership.

I would get a petrol car next if it was my decision. diesel is likely to be heavily taxed in future. What we need are more petrol models though as what we have at the moment from Mercedes is poor IMO.

Hi,
I can see that Mercedes and other manufacturers will be changing their lineups of new cars for the UK market - as diesel sales fall.
Where we live (Abu Dhabi) - there are hardly any diesel cars sold and all the manufacturers, including Mercedes, have a solid range of petrol cars available.
Take a look at Mercedes Abu Dhabi website and you will see what I mean

You can get a C class with 8 different petrol engines, from C180 to C63S
Mercedes C-Class | Sedan Models | Mercedes-Benz Abu Dhabi

The UK will follow suit, as diesel becomes less popular
Cheers
Steve

I would not worry about diesel being taxed more than petrol,we are in a period of allowing the green lobby to run amok,but given that 90% of everything we buy is distributed by diesel burning trucks,it would put the costs up for everybody in the country by a large amount,to stop this cities make a stand against diesel,all the people who do work using a diesel vehicle could withdraw their labour the place would grind to a halt,of course we need to have clean air but phase it in over 15 years and we might just get somewhere.

Luckily I live in West Wales and avoid going by car to major city centres, Cardiff just as quick by train and avoider expensive parking problems. So my Euro Cat 4 diesel non DPF is fine for me for the foreseeable future. If I lived in a major city or needed access on a regular basis would be thinking that a switch to petrol a good idea for my next car

So true, our car 's value is minimal now but to us it's everything. You are correct re; maintenance issues though, see my other posts. So we hope we can keep our general running costs (fuel) down. At my time of life this is probably my last car anyway so some sentiment issues involved.

Hi,
I can see that Mercedes and other manufacturers will be changing their lineups of new cars for the UK market - as diesel sales fall.
Where we live (Abu Dhabi) - there are hardly any diesel cars sold and all the manufacturers, including Mercedes, have a solid range of petrol cars available.

Cheers
Steve

Exactly, a full range of petrol engines for the C class and GLC.

Hi,

Cheers
Steve

What's the air quality like?

What's the air quality like?

Terrible today - big sandstorm! - and 41 degrees C when collecting son from school!

IMG_3037.jpg

Trucks and buses are still diesel but 99.9% of cars are petrol.
Air quality here is more influenced by heat, humidity and sand than by car/truck fumes.

Hi,

Cheers
Steve

I'm sure if the price of petrol was the same over here, the ratio of petrol to diesel cars would be similar to UAE, this would also reflect on the range of petrol engines being offered by the manufacturers in this market.

I'm sure if the price of petrol was the same over here, the ratio of petrol to diesel cars would be similar to UAE, this would also reflect on the range of petrol engines being offered by the manufacturers in this market.

Diesel is slightly cheaper than super unleaded in the UAE - but people just don't buy (or get the choice to buy) diesel cars here.
It just seems to be a traditional petrol car market and there are no signs this will change - apart from Tesla officially launching here and the interest in electric and hybrid vehicles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom