g/box, atf change, question,??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

COUPE FREAK

Car
220CE COUPE,,
new m.b. indie opened up round the corner from me a few week's ago, so instead of driving over to preston for ian to change the g/box atf thought i'd let them do it, quoted £120 for atf, filter and gasket, inc labour, the car's done 67,000, 1993 220ce, up change's seemed to me to be a bit jerky, read that changing the atf should smooth g/changes out,, picked the car up, seemed to me to be no different, still jerky, had a look underneath and it looks to me like all they've done is drain the sump, not the torque converter, look's like the original gasket still on and he's just tried to wipe the sump down with a rag to make it look like he's taken it off, where a couple of pipe's connect to the g/box he could'nt wipe and there's still the road grime on the sump behind them, going to go back and have a word with them but it'll probably just turn into a "i've changed everythig" (them) "no you have'nt" (me),, and on and on, etc, just wondering if there's any other way to confirm they've done the full atf change,etc, or a diplomatic way to approach the situation, apart from the money it's the thought of someone having a little chuckle thinking they've pulled a fast one on me that's annoying,, next time i'm going to do it myself, then i know it's been done right,,

If they say they changed it and you believe they haven't, then ask them what make of filter did they put in and then remove the filter yourself and see if its dirty or what and see the brand of filter.

Also ask if they have the old filter that that believe to have removed.

Also ask them how much oil they use, I thinks its about 7 to 8 litres including the tourque.

Hope this helps

Shame you did this. You could have stood there for 30 mins while I did it and you would have seen what was done. Plus for an ATF change at £120, its a rip off. Seal at £5 max. ATF at £20, Filter at £12. 30 mins labour at £18, ah well.

Ian B Walker said:
Shame you did this. You could have stood there for 30 mins while I did it and you would have seen what was done. Plus for an ATF change at £120, its a rip off. Seal at £5 max. ATF at £20, Filter at £12. 30 mins labour at £18, ah well.

ian,, i like driving but i dont have the time at the moment for a 5 hour round trip to visit you,

from what i've read on here £120 is about the average for the job,,

£20 for the ATF ?,, read on here that it's £8 to £10 a litre, for the proper stuff, or are you saying you can use something else that's obviously cheaper, and the same spec,?

i know i should have done it myself but i guess i've still got a bit of the mind set that M.B's are something special and us mere mortal's should'nt mess with them, when really they're just a car, i'm well over that now though,,

have,nt used the spring compressor yet though,,

Ian B Walker said:

How much would it be for a 1998 c280 then [V not Straight 6], please Ian?

Ian B Walker said:
...ATF at £20.......

MB fluid for the 722.6 transmission is just under £9 per litre....a fully drained transmission requires 7.3 litres to fill (3.5 litres if the torque converter isn't drained as post '99 models no longer have a t/c drain plug fitted)......so you are looking at between £72 (8 litres) and £36 (4 litres) for the cost of the fluid alone, i'm not sure where you get £20 from...unless you use an alternative, cheaper oil...which is not recommended for the 722.6 transmission.

If Ian is using a non standard oil, I'm sure he has done his homework. Either way, I trust his judgement. I'll be finding out tomorrow anyway when he does mine!

COUPE FREAK said:
ian,,
£20 for the ATF ?,, read on here that it's £8 to £10 a litre, for the proper stuff, or are you saying you can use something else that's obviously cheaper, and the same spec,?
I expect that Ian has quoted you for a Dexron III equivalant fluid which fully meets MB spec for your older c220 coupe-- Fuchs Titan ATF 4000 for example :) which is about £22 for 5 litres. You dont need the high cost synthetics of the later transmissions that MB use. :eek: They tend to only stock the latest ATF fluids since that's what the bulk of their customers cars require :confused: so thats what they offer you!

grober said:
I expect that Ian has quoted you for a Dexron III equivalant fluid which fully meets MB spec for your older c220 coupe-- Fuchs Titan ATF 4000 for example :) which is about £22 for 5 litres. You dont need the high cost synthetics of the later transmissions that MB use. :eek: They tend to only stock the latest ATF fluids since that's what the bulk of their customers cars require :confused: so thats what they offer you!

220ce,, not c220,, ooop's, i'm being picky again,, :D

GazCaff said:
If Ian is using a non standard oil, I'm sure he has done his homework. Either way, I trust his judgement. I'll be finding out tomorrow anyway when he does mine!

i'd be interested to know what ATF you get,,

grober said:
Absolutley right. For the more mature Mercedes that is what I use.

Had to get these bits for my 140 today:

ATF (001 989 21 03/10) x 8 litres @ 8.07 + VAT per liter
Gasket (140 271 00 80) @ 5.56 + VAT
Filter (140 227 00 95) @ 7.49 + VAT

Total 91 quid !

The later transmission fluid is also suitable for the earlier transmissions.........

Attachments

• tf 1.jpg
    tf 1.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 166
panason1c said:
The later transmission fluid is also suitable for the earlier transmissions.........

You are correct of course. Most MB fluids are backward compatible. The supposed advantage is because they are synthetic they dont require changing EVER ( according to MB). Hence the "no scheduled maintenance" on the bottle and no drain plug on the torque convertor!
Disadvantages are that no fluid change = no filter change and that PRICE!!! And you are left with the question, just how long is NEVER? presumably they mean the lifetime of the gearbox??? In the meantime for the "mature" mercedes autogearbox fluid and filter changes every 36k miles is the norm with the older and CHEAPER fluid.

frog1520 said:
Had to get these bits for my 140 today:

ATF (001 989 21 03/10) x 8 litres @ 8.07 + VAT per liter
Gasket (140 271 00 80) @ 5.56 + VAT
Filter (140 227 00 95) @ 7.49 + VAT

Total 91 quid !

Exactly the parts and prices on my dealer invoice, except they then took off 10% discount ;)

I had one other part charged for:

140 991 00 55 'SAFETY CATCH', a massive £0.33 before discount!

EDIT: total bill for the ATF change was £147.65, I posted this before but it seems to have disappeared??!

Last edited:
Was there a post on here of how to do this, my 4/99 E300 TD could do with a atf change. How do I find out what gearbox I have, and as whether the t/converter has a drain plug without getting underneath?

The gearbox number is on the vehicle data sheet at the rear of the service book. Your age of car almost certainly does not have a drain plug for the torque converter. I'm afraid the only way to be certain is to get under the car and if you intend to change the oil/ filter yourself you will have to do this anyway.

R Phillips said:
Was there a post on here of how to do this, my 4/99 E300 TD could do with a atf change. How do I find out what gearbox I have, and as whether the t/converter has a drain plug without getting underneath?

It is likely that yours DOES have a t/c drain plug as Mercedes stopped fitting them from 22/9/99.

You will have a 722.6 gearbox fitted.

Hi

Nov 1998 Build E 300 Turbodiesel has a torque convertor drain plug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom