G Wagen Opinion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickjonesn4

Car
E55K AMG Wagon, Porsche 993 C2S, Polestar 2
Hi All

Very interested in any thought on this car

Sorely tempted but would be a bit of an impulse buy. Any G Class owners shed any light?

Thanks in advance

Nick

I used to drive the 2000 model in the army. The inside is as rough as the outside; minimalist military vehicle as you can see from the photos. I would say that generation is more solid than the newer ones.
Apart from that its great on and off the road. Impressive traction in difficult conditions except sand/dessert

The only Mercedes that I just don’t figure. Staggering sums paid for what is a very utilitarian vehicle. I get the ‘classic’ bit of course but ....£325,000 😳

The only Mercedes that I just don’t figure. Staggering sums paid for what is a very utilitarian vehicle. I get the ‘classic’ bit of course but ....£325,000 😳
This one is currently bidding at £5k

I used to drive the 2000 model in the army. The inside is as rough as the outside; minimalist military vehicle as you can see from the photos. I would say that generation is more solid than the newer ones.
Apart from that its great on and off the road. Impressive traction in difficult conditions except sand/dessert
Live in the Highlands so not much desert!

Owned a 5door version a few years ago, I think a 1988 280 GE auto with the wide wheel option. Used to take my two kids and their friends to their school about 8 of them altogether, the car was a 9 seater. We absolutely loved the car, except the fuel consumption, 15mpg, but we got 15mpg round town, on a long run or towing the caravan. I did once get it up to 16mpg :D They do sell for silly money now, I sold mine in the mid 90's for about £14k, I think now one in similar condition would be about £20K+

I had one very similar to that - lwb, same colour, alloys, etc but the 300 diesel engine.
Absolutely loved the car. Paid £7k for it - this was in the day before they were the preserve of pimps and rappers.
They are slow. Very slow. They don’t handle - they roll all over the place. Fuel consumption was bad. We ended up paying £85 a week and that was the reason we sold it in the end. Gear changes were like stirring porridge. Actually it was worse than that. There WAS some rust behind the wheel arch trims, but it stayed there without spreading.
But I loved it. I loved the relaxed way you drove it. I loved the way it felt indestructible and unstoppable. I loved the front and rear diff locks - don’t ever engage the front on tarmac! I loved it’s looks, in the same way that Arnie is a good looking guy. I loved pretty much everything about it.
Owning one is a bit like that saying about motorcycles - if you have to ask, you wouldn’t understand.
The kids hated it. They called it ‘The Tank’ and would hide when I took them to school in it. They wouldn’t be so shy now!
I would gladly have another but not at the prices they ask these days.
Any questions - feel free to ask.
Btw, the reg was G400 LUE - looks like it is still on the road 👍🏻👍🏻

Edit: just to add, VERY easy to work on yourself. Just slide underneath to do any work. I change gearbox/front/rear diff oils this way. The filler/level plugs and drain plugs for all of these are exactly the same!

Last edited:
I had one very similar to that - lwb, same colour, alloys, etc but the 300 diesel engine.
Absolutely loved the car. Paid £7k for it - this was in the day before they were the preserve of pimps and rappers.
They are slow. Very slow. They don’t handle - they roll all over the place. Fuel consumption was bad. We ended up paying £85 a week and that was the reason we sold it in the end. Gear changes were like stirring porridge. Actually it was worse than that. There WAS some rust behind the wheel arch trims, but it stayed there without spreading.
But I loved it. I loved the relaxed way you drove it. I loved the way it felt indestructible and unstoppable. I loved the front and rear diff locks - don’t ever engage the front on tarmac! I loved it’s looks, in the same way that Arnie is a good looking guy. I loved pretty much everything about it.
Owning one is a bit like that saying about motorcycles - if you have to ask, you wouldn’t understand.
The kids hated it. They called it ‘The Tank’ and would hide when I took them to school in it. They wouldn’t be so shy now!
I would gladly have another but not at the prices they ask these days.
Any questions - feel free to ask.
Btw, the reg was G400 LUE - looks like it is still on the road 👍🏻👍🏻

Edit: just to add, VERY easy to work on yourself. Just slide underneath to do any work. I change gearbox/front/rear diff oils this way. The filler/level plugs and drain plugs for all of these are exactly the same!
Thankyou, suoer helpful

Any thoughts on this particular car?

I love them but they are expensive - then again, you won’t lose money. That one looks great but I’d prefer a V8.

good luck 👍

Yep. Want a car to tow a boat to Loch and for winter when we get snowed in. Trying to avoid buying a land rover but something I cak work on still.

For the money you're spending why not consider a Land Rover, a late model Freelander 2 SD4 in HSE or Metropolis spec. Very capable on and off road, all the creature comforts, automatic and, despite what you might hear, reliable too. I bought mine in early '15' and faultless since.

Different people, different opinions of course, but I wouldn't trade mine for a 30 year old G Wagon.

That does look very very nice.
I certainly wouldn’t consider buying one without a road test and testing the diffs and ranges.
Be aware that that colour can look a little pink in the right light :)

They have character. Steering isn't the best, but is always an "experience" when going out in one. Love mine

It will be silly to pay more then 35k but auctions let people go wreckless with money. I am sure you can get another one from a retailer

Passed on this in the end as want a LWB will keep looking

they are stunning, I love my G55

Well I have always stated they have the styling of a1970's filing cabinet , but what can you expect from a tarted up ex Mil truck by Steyr, complying OF COURSE to the FIMBRA test .
My daughter a surgeon posted to Lesotho Land as an NGO several years ago said that when 5 ton elephants sit on them in Krugar National park they have to be towed out . :eek: :D
Really she said in an email "only Landrovers and Toyotas can live in this arduous African terrain!
"The G Wagen is best suited for snooty Soccer Moms in Dallas or poncing about in Knightsbridge full of Arabs " un quote .
When you see this, I can see why!
Every time I got sent to Africa I fell in love with the people.:cool:
Tuercas viejas

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom