G wagen prces have gone crasy in the last year or so....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I personally can’t see the resemblance to the Suzuki X-90. Suzuki SJ410, SJ413 or Jimny are similar visually. In fact it’s possible to get G 63 replica kits for Suzukis.
If you are familiar with old Baur converted BMW's the G convertibles and Suzuki X-90 all share that odd little wedge shape behind the 'b' pillar.

But each to their own. If some find it inoffensive to the eye that is fine by me.

I personally can’t see the resemblance to the Suzuki X-90. Suzuki SJ410, SJ413 or Jimny are similar visually. In fact it’s possible to get G 63 replica kits for Suzukis.

I agree, apart from being 2 door 4X4s they have nothing in common. The G is about 40% larger as well.

2004 Jimny:
Suzuki-Jimny_2005_Apvidus_1512494530_12.jpg

2004 G55:

1653651450692.png

Whoops sorry - thats even less like a G
Fair enough. Each to their own. Was the G convertible styled in house or by an outside company. Was all the rage BITD for companies like Karman, Bertone, Baur etc to have input.

baur.jpg

Id imagine its just a roll over design for a 4 seat convertable car, see also the Porsche Targa as well.

Suzuki X90:

1653652662094.png

G- Wagen SWB cabriolet:

1653652761597.png

That G-Wagen looks like a bodykitted X90. If you can't see it, you ain't tryin'...

Last edited:
Someone I know looked at it...the 15k G wagen was rusty underneath.. in multiple areas, particularly the suspension areas...non runner..stellar is mileage, not worth 15k in my opinion.. nearer 8k project money.

Yep a Jimny does (they even style it after the G with the latest version) - the Suzuki? nope.

The convertable aside, I f'in love my G. Never have I driven somthing that gets so much attention. So far this week (and ive not been out in it today) I have had 8 people say "love the G mate" or "Wkd car mate"

(Together with the Glares from over 50s) :)

The thirst is killing me though with fuel prices :(

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I think its just that they are both ugly cars.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Reminds me how much I would like one. I’d have obsidian black on the outside and trademark Brabus orange on the inside. The quality of the conversion looks really good. Anyone know who converts these?

Agreed. They have always had held their values well. Non running yes but a simple engine which will not require x number of £££ NOX sensors to make it run or a £60 a hour Star diagnostic session just to be told what is wrong with it. 250,000 km on the clock is irrelevant with these engines, although it would be nice to know why it needed injectors and hydraulic tappets replacing after such low miles. Also it will run on veg oil. Used 50p a litre. Greener than a Prius!

SWB G's (cabriolets) are not lookers imho. Like some else mentioned earlier they are dead ringers for Suzuki X-90's.🤮
I love Mercedes and the G, but I cannot stand the look of the G Cabriolet… I would never want one let alone consider paying crazy sums for one!

Fair enough. Each to their own. Was the G convertible styled in house or by an outside company. Was all the rage BITD for companies like Karman, Bertone, Baur etc to have input.

View attachment 127843
The G Cabrio is a later model adaption. MB needed to fit a foldaway roof that could be powered up and down to suit its target market. I don't think 1970's MB ever dreamt that the farm hack/military vehicle would ever become what it has.
The original soft tops where like a canvas top Land Rover, ropes, clips and buttons, removing and folding the roof and putting it somewhere.
Some models like the Wolf and Peugeot P4 also had windscreens you couldfold down onto the bonnet like Land Cruisers/Rovers.
The late 80s - early 90's was when the folding roof frame came along, but still involved buttons and manual work to lower the roof.

I love Mercedes and the G, but I cannot stand the look of the G Cabriolet… I would never want one let alone consider paying crazy sums for one!
Yep the carbiolets are odd looking things. I dare say they would look right in certain settings though, such as being driven by a Micheal Winner lookalike along Puerto Banus marina.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom