G Wagen Pricing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flat6buster

Car
W222 S350, 911sc
OK this is NOT a 'I don't get it' thread. For that please look at LR Defender & Series 3 prices & then tell me G Wagens are overpriced......

What I am interested in is the collective's opinion of the value of my G Wagen.

I have it rather half-heartedly up for £12,995 which I guess is flying a bit of a kite but I'm in no hurry to sell it with winter on the way.

However it strikes me that the price of Japaneses ones (in Japan and imported ones as a consequence) have come down in recent months and I think this may have put all older G prices under pressure.

So my W460, SWB 280ge Auto, 71,000 miler, 1989, very nearly perfect condition should be worth what, do you think?

Link to ad on mbclub here if you are interested. Long & short is perfect rust free body & paint, very nearly perfect interior, dirty engine bay shows 71,000 miles use. £10,000 + spend in my ownership of last 5 years should prove it is in exceptional condition.

Thanks in advance for any input you give. By temperament I am impatient and if I put an ad on ebay & autotrader I will not want it hanging around unduly. However having potentially undersold something this else year I must be careful not to do it again because my pockets aren't bottomless.

I've no real idea of value so can't assist but that is really very nice. I Like the silver and the interior colour. Good luck with the sale.

Overpriced for a W460 IMO, you can get fairly decent W463's for around £12k mark

Looks in nice nick. :thumb: What might count against it is the slightly utilitarian interior.:eek: 1989 was I believe a facelift year with the facelift models having a revised interior, drivetrain changes, ABS brakes and the single cam M103 petrol engine.:dk:

Looks in nice nick. :thumb: What might count against it is the slightly utilitarian interior.:eek: 1989 was I believe a facelift year with the facelift models having a revised interior, drivetrain changes, ABS brakes and the single cam M103 petrol engine.:dk:

indeed, hence my question about value.

FWIW I rather like the utilitarian interior - it's a Defender type vehicle; the 463s are more Disco-like with the 124 style dash etc. The appeal for me is that there is naff all to go wrong, only the stereo!

Horses for courses - I am aware it's not for everyone.....

indeed, hence my question about value.

FWIW I rather like the utilitarian interior - it's a Defender type vehicle; the 463s are more Disco-like with the 124 style dash etc. The appeal for me is that there is naff all to go wrong, only the stereo!

Horses for courses - I am aware it's not for everyone.....

But for the mass market (who have driven the value of G's) dont, they want somthing that drives like a car, not a tractor. which is why the W463's will always be way more desirible

But for the mass market (who have driven the value of G's) dont, they want somthing that drives like a car, not a tractor. which is why the W463's will always be way more desirible

So back to the question, what's mine worth? I think my original post mentioned Japanese imports which are all (as far as I can see) 463s, I am aware mine is worth less bit how much less?

I was never trying to suggest the market would see a 460 as the same value as a 463...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using MBClub UK

If I had anything to add on pricing it I would, but it isn't a market I follow at all. What I do know is that I've seen it in the flesh and it is in great condition.

With older vehicles [ no offence] Its worth what someone will pay for it. Sometimes its helpful to think of the situation being like a normal distribution curve- price on the X axis and no of potential buyers on the Y axis. You want to be at the peak of that distribution curve to maximise the number of potential buyers. If you are at the top end of the curve you might get your price but your number of potential buyers is drastically reduced. Only thing you can do is to get a feel for the market by looking at other adverts and placing your car on the curve appropriately. Problem is getting the data when so few are on sale at any one time. Judging by the other comments you might be £1.5k-£2k higher than the peak of the distribution curve for your particular model. But in the end its your car and you have spent £10k on it ! :dk:

Ps think the 5 doors command slightly firmer prices

Last edited:
If I had anything to add on pricing it I would, but it isn't a market I follow at all. What I do know is that I've seen it in the flesh and it is in great condition.

Thank you Charles.

I have foolishly spent 4500 on cosmetic improvements since you saw it. .....

With older vehicles [ no offence] Its worth what someone will pay for it. Sometimes its helpful to think of the situation being like a normal distribution curve- price on the X axis and no of potential buyers on the Y axis. You want to be at the peak of that distribution curve to maximise the number of potential buyers. If you are at the top end of the curve you might get your price but your number of potential buyers is drastically reduced. Only thing you can do is to get a feel for the market by looking at other adverts and placing your car on the curve appropriately. Problem is getting the data when so few are on sale at any one time. Judging by the other comments you might be £1.5k-£2k higher than the peak of the distribution curve for your particular model. But in the end its your car. :dk:

Ps think the 5 doors command slightly firmer prices

Thanks. Truth be told I think that's where I thought I should be to effect a sale. Probably don't want to admit it to myself though. ....if no one wantsher i will just pray for a snowy winter. ...!

Out of interest - if there is "naff all to go wrong" - how come you have spent £10,000 on it in the last 4-5 years?

If you saw it you would understand. My expenditure does not necessarily mean anything broke, does it?

But the question stands. £4500 on "cosmetic improvements ", what was the other £5500 spent on?

Whilst G's are sought after, its a very limited market. You would do a lot better to advertise on GWOA.

I would think value is around 8-9K at a push. It looks lovely but W460's do have an upper ceiling value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom