G3 Scratch Remover and Bird Lime Etching

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eddy77

SUPPORTER
Car
2008 CLK 350 Sport Cab and 2021 BMW 520i M Sport Saloon
Having just returned from a week in Cornwall I gave my A6 a clean. On the bonnet was a large bird poo. Some of you may recall a bird poo eating right through the lacquer on my CLK which required an expensive respray. To my horror, having cleaned the Audi this morning there was still a visible etching in the clear coat where the bird poo was. I tried some neat fairy liquid and other cleaning products but it would not shift. Strangely there was no detectable indentation but the shadow was there. I rummaged around in the garage and found some t cut. Prior experience of t cut put me off using that so I carried on rummaging and found some Farcela G3 scratch remover which I must have bought years ago.

Damp cloth with gentle vertical then horizontal rubbing. Gently does it. Wipe off and polish. Seemed improved. Repeated four times and hey presto the shadow is gone! I am delighted. Gave the whole bonnet a polish afterwards and it looks brand new again.

I am relieved. Car is only 15 months old and has 9k miles on it so is still pristine. This would have been a noticeable bit of damage.

Hopefully this might help anyone else. Top tip is to go gently and in small steps. I was paranoid of cutting the paintwork and leaving a scratch patch. Done that in my youth with t cut and there’s no way back from that mess!

Attachments

• BD9C28D6-79BF-45C4-98BF-8CE0A36E0455.jpeg
    BD9C28D6-79BF-45C4-98BF-8CE0A36E0455.jpeg
    287.9 KB · Views: 21
Having just returned from a week in Cornwall I gave my A6 a clean. On the bonnet was a large bird poo. Some of you may recall a bird poo eating right through the lacquer on my CLK which required an expensive respray. To my horror, having cleaned the Audi this morning there was still a visible etching in the clear coat where the bird poo was. I tried some neat fairy liquid and other cleaning products but it would not shift. Strangely there was no detectable indentation but the shadow was there. I rummaged around in the garage and found some t cut. Prior experience of t cut put me off using that so I carried on rummaging and found some Farcela G3 scratch remover which I must have bought years ago.

Damp cloth with gentle vertical then horizontal rubbing. Gently does it. Wipe off and polish. Seemed improved. Repeated four times and hey presto the shadow is gone! I am delighted. Gave the whole bonnet a polish afterwards and it looks brand new again.

I am relieved. Car is only 15 months old and has 9k miles on it so is still pristine. This would have been a noticeable bit of damage.

Hopefully this might help anyone else. Top tip is to go gently and in small steps. I was paranoid of cutting the paintwork and leaving a scratch patch. Done that in my youth with t cut and there’s no way back from that mess!
Good work. We're on holiday at the moment and I have now got to the point where I pack a water sprayer (the type you use for misting plants) just so I can spray off any bird poop at the end of the day. Seagulls and the like seem to drink acid (maybe it's the vinegar from the chips!).

Anyway, glad you've sorted. The farcla G3 stuff is pretty good on this sort of issue and light scratches. As you say, patience and persistence... Slow and steady wins the race.

M

Good work. We're on holiday at the moment and I have now got to the point where I pack a water sprayer (the type you use for misting plants) just so I can spray off any bird poop at the end of the day. Seagulls and the like seem to drink acid (maybe it's the vinegar from the chips!).

Anyway, glad you've sorted. The farcla G3 stuff is pretty good on this sort of issue and light scratches. As you say, patience and persistence... Slow and steady wins the race.

M

I said to my wife that we should stick a pack of Aldi wipes in the car so we can wipe off in future. It was only on there for a couple of days but it was enough to start eating through the clear coat. On my merc it got left for weeks in the sun and that completely ate the lacquer. £400 respray later it was fixed. That was annnoying as my Mercedes is usually garaged and is mint. It was only outside due to building work!! Lesson learned!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom