G350 opinions please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A R

Just looking for some first ( even second :) ) hand opinions on the G350.

Current car is a Brabus D8 equipped GL 420, with Brabus exhaust. It has been a great car except for a bad turbo, suspension and cps all replaced by MB under warranty.

Seen a few G350 dip under 60 MB approved used.

Have had a ML320 before and not big enough for us.

Any caveats, opinions etc appreciated.

AR

Last edited:
Thanks I need to tow a trailer and sometimes over grass/mud, so a 4x4 is a must.

So R Class would be a possibility then? That uses ML running gear.

If you need big, the R class does it really well - only a week in, but we love ours.

I do like the R and have recommended it to my father inlaw. However the R class won't be good enough for my towing needs.

Gusy he asked for G class opinions not advice on which car he should get.

Truth is you won't get many opinions because they are so rare very few people have much experience with them. I echo what I said on pistonheads that you won't sit in a finer vehicle. Just go down to a dealer and a good test drive and look around will tell you if it's for you or not.

The OP said he'd had an ML and it was too small.

The review I posted said the LWB G was shorter and narrower than an ML.

So suggestions of other cars that might be suitable are fair enough, IMHO.

The G350 looks great in the road tests, but ouch at the price tag!

Anyway, I think the OP should go for one of these..

IMG_0276_zpsf5031314.jpg

Cheers,

Gaz

Having driven lots of Gs they are not very refined on the road. I havent driven the new 350cdi but have driven the old 270cdi and a 55 amg. Engines aside, the chassis and everything that goes with it is a dinosaur.
I love them to bits but I wouldn't use one as my daily motor as the road manors are awful.
Night and day between a g and gl imo!
R is a much nicer drive and lots of cabin space, shame about the 2100kg tow limit.
Do you realistically need the 3500kg?

Last edited:
Gusy he asked for G class opinions not advice on which car he should get.

Truth is you won't get many opinions because they are so rare very few people have much experience with them. I echo what I said on pistonheads that you won't sit in a finer vehicle. Just go down to a dealer and a good test drive and look around will tell you if it's for you or not.

Thanks irish boy, the main issue is they are so far and few in between, that it takes some time for the dealers to get one in.

I know is a different animal as a friend has a g400 and is very different from my GL. I use to have landcruisers and do like the body on chassis type construction.

Nothing wrong with the ML or R just not big enough for my needs regarding capacity and weight. The ML and the GL are very refined but interior space is not the greatest, also the A pillar always gets in the way. I love the airy feeling of the G.

Thanks to all,

AR

Update I have since test driven a few g350 and I must admit that the torque from the gl420 has spoiled me. I have decided to go for a gl450 and actively looking for one ATM.

Cheers,

AR

Update I have since test driven a few g350 and I must admit that the torque from the gl420 has spoiled me. I have decided to go for a gl450 and actively looking for one ATM.

Cheers,

AR

Have you tried a 500 or a 55?

In terms of boot space the G is bigger than any ML but in terms of cabin space (aside from roof height) the new ML is more spacious.

In terms of serious offroad capability almost nothing beats 3 locking diffs in any G.
In terms of driving in a very potholed road for miles on end...same as above.

As for towing ability both an ML350 CDI and G350 CDI (even GL350 CDI) have the same capacity. 3500kg/750kg (Braked/Unbraked).

On a side note GL has biggest boot of all three! (With seats folded down of course) :))

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom