Gaining Info on Electric Tariffs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

m80

MB Enthusiast
Car
Viano ex long, 651 2014. S211 646 2009 (till the Gov't drones blow 'em off the road)
Moany old fart warning.

We're on the saver 7. I'm wanting to understand the comparable tariffs, to see if going for the cheaper 24hr tariff (compared to present normal tariff, and cheap 7 hours) would be a saving.

I know my usage, that being from 2 years of history.
I can use a calculator, so don't need the quotes they push at me. A learned years ago the British Gas tell you they save, while actually charging more anyway, just to hook customers who suffer the later sting. So the tariff comparison is all I want.

I'm stuffed if I can get that w/o providing all the information, so that they can harass the f' out of me afterward. That being the modern day bs of email after email, cr*p through the letter box, and of course calls from automated systems that keep you waiting while it connects to a school leaver or Mumbai operative.

Even the bl**dy comparison sites are doing it.

Is there a simple site to show me who wants what, aside from me wife's knicker size and when she might think about buying new?

Moany old fart warning.

We're on the saver 7. I'm wanting to understand the comparable tariffs, to see if going for the cheaper 24hr tariff (compared to present normal tariff, and cheap 7 hours) would be a saving.

I know my usage, that being from 2 years of history.
I can use a calculator, so don't need the quotes they push at me. A learned years ago the British Gas tell you they save, while actually charging more anyway, just to hook customers who suffer the later sting. So the tariff comparison is all I want.

I'm stuffed if I can get that w/o providing all the information, so that they can harass the f' out of me afterward. That being the modern day bs of email after email, cr*p through the letter box, and of course calls from automated systems that keep you waiting while it connects to a school leaver or Mumbai operative.

Even the bl**dy comparison sites are doing it.

Is there a simple site to show me who wants what, aside from me wife's knicker size and when she might think about buying new?
Can't help with your question unfortunately, but you did make me laugh. You sound just like me 😂

Like you, I have an Economy7 meter, and like you I record and spreadsheet gas and electric useage on an Excel spreadsheet, so I know how much we've used each month on the "day" and "night" meters (R1 and R2). We've been here 17 years, I've on a few occasions looked at switching to an economy 7 tariff, but without a massive change in how herself uses the washing machine, dishwasher etc, it's never been cheaper to have a dual rate tariff instead of a single rate tariff. The possible hiccup is that only certain suppliers software will handle this - I know from past and current experience Octopus, BG (thus also Sainsburys) can, Scottish Power some years ago could not. You only have to look at the daytime electricity rate for Economy7 compared to single rate to see why normal Non- storage heater houses are cheaper on single rate!

It took some finding, but I uncovered the secret of tariffs on the Octopus site.
without a massive change in how herself uses the washing machine, dishwasher etc
The washing machine has a countdown timer, so Mrs Maid can tell it to start in say 6 hours.
I installed a smart switch on the dishwasher, basically it doesn't see the door closed till initiated. So we tell GoogleBitch to start dish washer at 2am.
GoogleBitch also switches on sockets for my Ryobi kit in the office, and Mrs Maids 2x chargeable vacuum's.
I have 1 in the garage too.
And that's beside other kit around the house, for convenience rather than economy.

Anyways, our off peak usage is likely to be more efficient going forward, but at historical usage I would save around £40p.a. by switching to the 24hr tariff, using the new rates available, and tying myself in..
I'll leave it for now, and monitor, being as I'll likely loose any advantage in miscommunications, and some 16 year old pressing the wrong key.

Semi snap - our dishwasher has a delayed start function that herself uses - but to switch it on so it finishes about 9.30 (we're both retired so do not start early!) so it starts about 7! Daughter and SIL have smart switches for a load of stuff in their place - which we house sat for a week a couple of weeks ago. Wife could not get her head around things like "Alexa, good morning" to switch certain lights on, let alone "Alexa, play radio 2", "Alexa, turn garden lights on", "Alexa goodnight", she cannot even use the EPG on our BTTV set-up so I have to buy the Saturday Daily Mail to get their TV guide magazine!!, so smart plugs are no use when you do not have a smart wife!!

Reactions: m80

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom