Gallery page critics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Howard

MB Club Veteran
Car
2018 C63 Wagon / CLK430 / A150 / VW Pink Floyd Golf Cabriolet
I can only state on the gallery page, what was told to me when i bought it. Having not owned a Merc before, i don't really know what the standard ride height is on these cars. As for the badges, once again, the car came with them when i bought it, i just liked the look of the car and the engine size was one i could afford to insure. Hopefully by the Kettering meet i will have the badges sorted and the ride height will be raised a bit, to stop the damn thing rubbing on the arches, sorry if i've got a few things wrong but i'll try and sort them out ! :eek:

I wouldn't worry, the car looks pimp to me. Very nice. The ride height looks good, but a shame if you have rubbing. I am generally not in favour of false badging (I prefer all go and no show if given the choice) but on your car the AMG badge does not stick out particularly to me. Why not loose the 230CE badge and leave the uniformed guessing?

Howard, my comment about it looking -40mm was not an insult by any means, more of an attempt to inform you. It looks perfect at that height with those rims...

The W124's sit supidly low at -65mm...hehe

As for the rubbing, what size tyres are you running? If they are particularly wide, then raising the height a little, won't completely stop the rubbing.

The 230E was a good choice, i have gone through the same problems of insurance! You will also benefit from considerably better fuel economy over a 300...

Good luck with the car.

Ricky

Hey Howard,

Don't get us wrong, we like your car, its just.... you haven't been biten by the modding bug yet...so were trying to get you started ;)

Personally I'd lose the badges but then thats just my opinion.

Your car doesnt look too low at all to me, how is the ride though? When does it rub, over bumps or when on full lock? What size are the tyres and what offset rims do you have, as V12 said, it may not help the rubbing by raising the car. I notice you have rear mmudflaps, are you sure its not these that are being rubbed on the rear? Check the bolt that holds the flap in place, is that showing signs of being rubbed?

Last edited:
Cheers guys !!

The car came with 225/45/17's on it, the problem really is on the drivers side, the tyres appear to be wearing through the side moulding when turning whereas they arent on the passenger side, having measured the wheelbase on both sides, the drivers side wheelbase is exactly 10mm less than the wheelbase of the passenger side!! :confused: having spoke to Mercedes Gt West Road about this they said that it is within tolerances but its about the max they would recommend, (theres no sign of accident damage underneath) I had new anti roll bar rubbers in it just after i bought it, and it has started since then really, so i thought having it raised a bit may help and then get them to see if anything has shifted or whatever since the new rubbers have been in. If anyone has any advice then that would be useful.... Thanks for everyones comments about the car, sorry if i took them the wrong way - just paranoid i guess !! :eek:

Howard said:
The car came with 225/45/17's on it, the problem really is on the drivers side, the tyres appear to be wearing through the side moulding when turning whereas they arent on the passenger side, having measured the wheelbase on both sides, the drivers side wheelbase is exactly 10mm less than the wheelbase of the passenger side!! :confused: having spoke to Mercedes Gt West Road about this they said that it is within tolerances but its about the max they would recommend, (theres no sign of accident damage underneath) I had new anti roll bar rubbers in it just after i bought it, and it has started since then really, so i thought having it raised a bit may help and then get them to see if anything has shifted or whatever since the new rubbers have been in. If anyone has any advice then that would be useful.... Thanks for everyones comments about the car, sorry if i took them the wrong way - just paranoid i guess !! :eek:

hmmm... it may be worth getting the car properly checked and aligned in the first instance coz that doesnt sound quite right. Maybe a control arm has had a bash and is slightly bent. (I think someone else had this a few months ago - can't remember who though) Best bet is to get it on a ramp and have a proper look at it. There is a friendly MB independant in Richmond you know ;)

Will get it looked at

Nice one Sp!ke, will get on the case tomorrow and keep you posted on the outcome ! cheers for the advice !

Its due in at Colin's on Thursday !

Just my tuppence,but if its low on the drivers side, it could be that this is the side that gets the most use,Always has a driver but not always a passeger! So the springs will tend to dip on the drivers side and over the years it will become more noticable.

cheers pluggers, but its rubbing on the side moulding (the short one between the door and the arch) not the top on the arch. I believe the arches have been rolled so it seems to clear it under normal suspension travel, but something is making the wheel touch when turning on the side (if you imagine the wheel as a clock face, its touching between the 7 and 10 o clock position) whether something has caused the wheel to move back or its mving under braking or over bumps i just dont know !!!

I agree with Spike. Have a full supension geomatery check. The wheel setback is definately the problem.

Have you noticed the car pulling to the right?

Interesting that you mention that it's only since new bushes were fitted, what is the setback like if the anti roll bar is disconnected. If it's ok then for some reason the anti roll bar is pulling / pushing the wheel backwards.
Check the ARB itself isnt bent.

It doesn't sound major, just needs doing.

I have a similar problem as in my right hand front wheel rubbs the rear of the wheel arch when going over dips in the road at speed. After my accdient I had a new front right hand wishbone fitted. I was tols that the car pulled slightly left but under braking it pulls up dead straight. I have to get a geomitry check and a chassis alignment check all before I decide what to do. Lets hope that it is nothing serious. Your comment re springs is interesting and I think needs further investigation, thanks guy's.

Hello Howard,
Great choice of car :D
Do you know what springs you have?
What colour are they?
If you clean them up a bit you may find some markings.
Just curious..

Red Springs

Hi Janner.

Bright red springs on the beast !! - can't see any markings myself - but its going in on thursday to be 'looked at' :bannana: , i'll ask them to keep their beadys peeled and i'll pass on any info they can give - also if the problem is fixed i'll let you know what it was!

Cheers for everyones help !

H

Howard...just to confrim red is 30-40mm, think blue is 60mm, but very rarely see them on any mercs.

I think everyone has covered all points of the geometry etc.

Ricky

Hee Hee Ricky, you were right all along, thanks for all the help everyone, the day of suspension reckoning is tomorrow !! i'll let you know how it goes !!

Howard,
How did you get on?
Are the springs marked MER2741?
Was it possible to get the alignment within spec with this ride height?
What is the rear camber measurement?

Janner,

Not sure yet, off to pick up the whale in about half an hour, the track rod ends were siezed so had new one of these, also put spacers on the springs (i think) to raise it up 10/15mm or so, i'll have to see whether this works, i'm praying to God that it doesn't look like one of these cars that has massive wheels on it but not lowered !!! I've been told by my father that it looks 'ok' , but then hes old and drives a bog standard 300te so anything is possible !! Will let you know as soon as i get back!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom