Gap insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan930

Car
Glc 63
Has anyone brought gap insurance for yr AMG,I got quoted £905 for a 3year plan for my glc63 from the main dealer...

Not worth it in my opinion, particularly if the dealer is quoting you that figure. They have a vested interest in getting you to cough up for a policy you're 99% sure never to need, so increase the figure accordingly, they all do it. You can get much cheaper quotes online if you look.

Your circumstances are obviously individual to you, but I would analyse if you really need gap cover or not. For me, not having the policy is just another incentive to not drive like a nutter (I always opt for higher excesses/lower premiums on my insurance for the same reason).

Anyway, just my 2p's worth.

Just Google gap insurance and do it yourself a lot cheaper than the dealer offers it. I used to date a car dealer and he said they made more from the 'add ons' than the car itself. I don't bother with gap. Got away with it for 30 years but I know a lot of people take it on here.

It makes sense to take it if you are habitually buying cars on lease. This way you protect yourself against unexpected fluctuations in your monthly outgoings in the event of an unplanned early lease termination due to the car being written-off or stolen, and quickly hop-on another lease on a new car.

In other circumstances it's an odd type of insurance, because it protects you against depreciation... but only if the car is written-off, and not if you decide to sell it. Why would you want to be covered for one eventuality but not the other?

Just seen ala.co.uk have a 25% off code via moneysavingexpert : MSE25

Quickly ran my car, and for 15k of cover for 3 years comes in at £160.

Anyone used ala? Had never even considered gap insurance on a used car, but at that price am tempted.

Bought Gap for a £25 k AMG on line for under £200 , back to invoiced price for 3 years. Sold it after 20 months and had £85 refund. I would buy again, saves any hassle with insurance company over market value if you write it off or it's stolen

Hi, yes I’ve used them......they were fine to deal with but I never made a claim! so I suppose you would be better waiting for someone who has claimed. That’s the only real way to find out if they are on the ball at paying up 😂.
Regards
Paul.

Motoreasy.com on a 20k car i paid £130 for 3 years back to invoice.

Just seen ala.co.uk have a 25% off code via moneysavingexpert : MSE25

Quickly ran my car, and for 15k of cover for 3 years comes in at £160.

Anyone used ala? Had never even considered gap insurance on a used car, but at that price am tempted.
With the GAP20 code this came in under £140 at Motoreasy for 3 years for return to invoice cover. I've bitten at that price 👍

Last edited:
I’ve just brought my GAP insurance from ALA
£313 back to invoice for 3yrs
Cheers everyone for the recommendations

Used ALA many times on previous cars, very reasonable and easy to contact.

Has anyone brought gap insurance for yr AMG,I got quoted £905 for a 3year plan for my glc63 from the main dealer...
Admiral Gap, about 30% of the main dealership price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom