Garage break in

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just pop a new secondhand centre console in. It'll cost between £15 and about £45 but you'll have to be clear with the breakers that you want a perfect one

They take about 20 minutes to replace if you've done one before. The toughest part is loosening the nuts at the top that retain the console. There are captive bolts in the dash, the console fits over them, and the nuts retain the console. The captive bolts point downwards. One is almost completely obscured by the dash crossmember so try using a 1/4 drive socket held in mole grips to start it off

It's a good opportunity to replace bad bulbs and give everything a good clean

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Adrian, I know how you feel about your "shed" err garage. I am lost as to what to say that has not already been said. I feel for you. If I was to have that happen to me I would be truly gutted. Fight the insurance folks with a vengeance. It was posted that someone had a CCTV system in their garage. It doesn't stop low life's from breaking in but you get to see the damage they cause. A big nasty dog living in the garage works wonders though. I will keep an eye out for a centre console for you.

Sorry to hear that and its sad that what they have taken will only be sold to feed a habit. I know if any one touched my car i would be gutted.... not that its wortha fortune its just its mine and i paid for it.

little C*nts, hope they get run over "accidentally". :)

Sorry to hear what happened, theses lowlifes have no respect for other peoples property. All that damage for what a couple of bottles of wine.

I have a spare Mercedes Audio 10 radio, which at present has a plastic front cover for a Sprinter, you are more than welcome to the radio. The front cover simply unclips and hopefully you can put whatever you want on it?

Tis here if you want it :)

regards
John

Sorry to hear this ..did they force locks? :(

Remember that when the insurance assessor comes round his job is not to just assess the claim but to save the company monies. No 1. priority is remember the "judgement of solomon" routine.... If you readily acccept a lower offer they will assume you folded too easily so will suspect your claim...stick to your guns...no-one keeps all their receipts -- but if you have independent witnesess etc that can support you - you should be ok. Keep us informed..Good luck,.

I have a spare Mercedes Audio 10 radio..

Thanks for the kind offer John. I think I'll have to replace it with one similar to the old one though. It was a top spec Pioneer. Anything less and it would always remind me of the break in.
Sorry to hear this ..did they force locks? :(
Remember that when the insurance assessor comes round his job is not to just assess the claim but to save the company monies.

The lock was surprisingly resilient however they moved on to the door frame and that didn't do so well :mad:

I'm not looking forward to the insurance bloke's meeting. Will he believe that I was working on the car during the day and left my £2000 watch on top of the toolbox :eek:
Along with some of the other things missing he's going to think I'm taking the Pi**. :eek:
We'll have to see what he says.

Is your watch insured under all risks? Is it a named item? Can you prove you owned this watch (receipts etc).
Why shouldn't you leave your watch in your LOCKED garage.....

Sorry to hear of the break in. Will you be claiming on your house insurance? If so, check your policy. Some insurance companies limit garage contents to a percentage of the amount house contents are insured for.

Sorry to hear of your bad news mate

Hi, Sorry to hear of your bad news mate, as a fellow Plymouthian it hits home.

Take care & good luck sourching replacement items

dave

Just spent an hour on the phone to the insurers. The gist of which is that my watch is not covered, the car stereo is not covered and one other item may not be covered.
To top it all she basically called me a liar when I told her about the compressor :mad:
"How do you suppose a burglar made off with an item that large and heavy?" she said. They're sending me some forms but I don't think I'm going to get much, if anything.

This is the compressor that went walkies. Not hugely expensive but I hadn't used it much which I guess will make it easy to sell?

a7ba_2.JPG

To top it all she basically called me a liar when I told her about the compressor :mad:
"How do you suppose a burglar made off with an item that large and heavy?" she said.

To which your answer should have been that you didn't know, but if you saw how they were removing it, you would have stopped them.

I reckon the wheels might have helped a bit.:rolleyes:

Just spent an hour on the phone to the insurers. The gist of which is that my watch is not covered, the car stereo is not covered and one other item may not be covered.
"How do you suppose a burglar made off with an item that large and heavy?" she said. They're sending me some forms but I don't think I'm going to get much, if anything.

This is the compressor that went walkies. Not hugely expensive but I hadn't used it much which I guess will make it easy to sell?

a7ba_2.JPG

Try searching eBay for things that have been stolen from you, some people are that stupid to list things that they nicked.

Insurance companies for the most part are absolutely useless when it comes to customer service.

They make it almost impossible to make a legitimate claim and then wonder why people resort to fraud to get something back from them

you have a receipt for the compressor, ask her where else she would expect you to keep it!!

you have a receipt for the compressor, ask her where else she would expect you to keep it!!

If you don't have a reciept, track back where it was purchased from and see if they will provide a duplicate or proof of purchase.

Try searching eBay for things that have been stolen from you, some people are that stupid to list things that they nicked.

There is an identical watch to mine just been listed, 85 miles away without box or paperwork. I've asked the seller if I can pay cash for a quick sale. ;)

So true, I had an item stolen from my desk at work by an IT-contractor, which appeared on eBay some weeks later and was subsequently sold.

How did I/we get to know about it? Well, it was an electronic Motorola 2-way radio that when switched on displayed "PETERBOROUGH LINK" on the display. So, the innocent buyer contacted the council and got to me and to cut a long story short Police were involved, a bit of detective work and the culprit identified and arrested, who admitted what he did.

Really dumb guy, but equally big up for the buyer to realise what he had bought.

Sorry to go a little OT

There is an identical watch to mine just been listed, 85 miles away without box or paperwork. I've asked the seller if I can pay cash for a quick sale. ;)

Oooooohhhh .... :mad:

Be interesting if it is .... have you got the serial number of your one that you can check ?

Check the sellers other items to see if your stereo or any other bits stolen are also listed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom