Garage floor tiles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PhilLinda

Car
E350 CDI Estate (S212), C63 507 coupé, Honda S2000
Just about to move to a new house and fancy some garage floor tiles rather than just painting the concrete. Reckon it will be a bit warmer and more comfortable to lie on in my old age!

I’ve seen recommendations on the forum for these 2 products. Anyone got any experience of these or recommend something else?

I’ve got 35 sq m to do so don’t want to break the bank.

MotoLock Interlocking Warehouse Flooring

PAF Tektiles – Tektiles PVC Interlocking Flooring

I recently covered my garage floor with black rubber matting , which has the Penny design ( looks similar to the Moto flooring). Early days as it has only been down for around six months. Very easy to cut and lay , only down side is the "odourless rubber" takes a few months to achieve odourless status. Available in different thicknesses and very reasonably priced.

Just about to move to a new house and fancy some garage floor tiles rather than just painting the concrete. Reckon it will be a bit warmer and more comfortable to lie on in my old age!

I’ve seen recommendations on the forum for these 2 products. Anyone got any experience of these or recommend something else?

I’ve got 35 sq m to do so don’t want to break the bank.

MotoLock Interlocking Warehouse Flooring

PAF Tektiles – Tektiles PVC Interlocking Flooring

Any idea what PAF charge? Annoying when a website won't give a price on a static product!

Any idea what PAF charge? Annoying when a website won't give a price on a static product!

I’ll need to give them a call to find out. Suspect it will be negotiable depending on quantity. Looks like a good product though.

If you're not investing in a pit, you'll be going under the car on your back, so I'd suggest a decent water/oil proof paint on the floor (as I had in my garage at the old house) and a decent wheeled crawler. Jack car up the required amount, lay on crawler and roll under to where you need to be! For smaller jobs, I just use a garden kneeler mat, much cheaper! Don't forget to put something soft on the walls so the door edge is protected when you open it!

If you're not investing in a pit, you'll be going under the car on your back, so I'd suggest a decent water/oil proof paint on the floor (as I had in my garage at the old house) and a decent wheeled crawler. Jack car up the required amount, lay on crawler and roll under to where you need to be! For smaller jobs, I just use a garden kneeler mat, much cheaper! Don't forget to put something soft on the walls so the door edge is protected when you open it!
Read in conjunction with “Safe Use of Jacks” on this forum

I have the interlocking foam (chequer plate look) tiles in my garage - removed them from under the car as they lift and move if you steer on them

I have the interlocking foam (chequer plate look) tiles in my garage - removed them from under the car as they lift and move if you steer on them
Thanks, I did wonder about that.

The PVC tiles are advertised as being good for garages, so I assume/hoping they would good for some steering?

Thanks, I did wonder about that.

The PVC tiles are advertised as being good for garages, so I assume/hoping they would good for some steering?

I think anything loose laid is going to move .....but this is my first experience of anything other than a concrete floor. Painting does not seem to be vey good either - our floor was done when we go the house and it is flaking, my son had his "professionally" done and it was also flaking (in less than 2 years). Only as good as the surface it goes on I suppose.

I painted part of the garage floor years ago. Coated the bare concrete first with a PVA water mix and then after that had dried used floor paint. It hasn't flaked or anything, but it's not an area that gets a lot of use. Didn't do the whole floor, because at the time the garage was full of 'stuff' (still kind of is). Anyway, I've now cleared enough space for the MX-5 and want to do something with the floor, mainly just to limit the dust. May end up just finishing off the paint job in the spring.

I have a painted floor in my current garage. Lasted 14 years and still looks pretty good. Just fancied something a bit warmer.

I've spoken to PAF about their tektiles. Sound pretty good. Have a sold back so don't compress like the ones with a 'criss-cross' back. They will bevel the edge for you rather than having a separate ramp.

5mm suitable for most domestic environments with 7mm for commercial use.

Tiles are 515mm x 515mm but fitted come up at 500mm x 500m as you 'lose' the joints.

5mm thick grey or black are £26 per sq. m plus delivery. Colours are £26.

Just paint it, unless the floor tiles are 100% sealed, oil and crud will seap through and damage the floor underneath. Get a creeper if you want to work on your back or a piece of carpet.

I've lived in the same house for 26 years and the double garage floor was painted by the builder. The amount of money I've spent on paint over the years I wish I'd tiled it or fitted the rubber sheeting. The problem I find with paint is if the car goes away wet the tyres stick to the paint and lift it up next time the car is used. A compromise would rubber tracks where the car sits and the rest in paint.

Or you could have it tiled o_O

If they are laid properly driving on them and parking will not affect them. These tiles have been down now for around 15 years. The good thing is during winter I can just wash them down with warm soapy water and they look like new. The store will advise what sort to get. The ones we use are stone mass tiles (not sure what they are called in UK) so they don't have a fragile surface that chips. Only thing I'd change is the colour and go for something lighter so as not to show every mark.

001 (1).jpg

I’m looking at this right now myself. Having spent hours on various forums (Pistonheads etc) I’m erring towards porcelain tiles.
The “purpose made” pvc/rubber interlocking garage tiles may be good to varying degrees but are not cheap at all and I’m thinking that porcelain will last much longer and look much nicer.
Can easily pick up some good looking porcelain tiles for £10/sqm.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom